Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

proportional absolutes: is this grammatically acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was taking point to the binary comment, not the use of the expression 'more uncontrollable'.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalius
      But less controllable implies there is still some semblance of control. More uncontrollable implies there is no control already.
      Exactly. I suggested 'less controllable' in my first post as a phrase to be preferred.

'Uncontrollable' is an absolute state like e.g. being braindead, as I pointed to earlier.

Comment

Of course you could say that the clarification is missing. i.e it has more uncontrallable [elements].

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
          Of course you could say that the clarification is missing. i.e it has more uncontrallable [elements].
          Yes, but as you imply that's not dealing with the degree of controllability.

Comment

I would compare it to the tossing of a coin, it can only be heads or tails. A single coin toss can not be more heads or more tails. If you are tossing 10 coins you can toss more heads or more tails.

It depends on what you take the words to mean, and what you are applying the word more to.

Comment

Again, you're correct. But you're still dealing with the frequency, not the degree of controllability, which is the issue before us.

Comment

This fish ain't biting anymore.

You miss my point then.

Comment

I must say, you're on a roll here.

Could you point it out for me?

Comment

Working...
                  X