Anime Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kataphraktoi

How about the best of all time? Thats what i mean when i say good ones to check out. TV schedules are irrelevant
    I prefer Inuyasha, it's more like a classical fantasy with some Japan twist and there are a lot of charismatic characters.
    Knowledge is Power

Comment

• OK, Naruto may have 125 or so episodes of filler...

It may be the only series I've seen with long dramatic flashbacks to things that happened 5 minutes ago in the same episode...

But at least there is progression!

Inuyasha you can watch forever and the only thing that happens is he gets more sparkly **** on his sword.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

• --"How about the best of all time?"

Well, it's not my preferred genre, so I'm probably not the best to ask, but here goes.

There's the ever-obvious Dragonball. That's one of the series that went on too long, of course, so more towards the start than the end. In fact, this one went on so much too long that the creator himself got bored with it. Dragonball GT doesn't have much interaction from Toriyama at all.

Naturally, he's pretty much the big name in the genre, so any other Toriyama work would be a good choice.

I don't remember what all else has been mentioned in the thread, and my apathy level isn't low enough to get me to check, so I'll probably repeat a few here.

There's also Yu Yu Hakusho, which is available in the US. Not Toriyama, but in the same vein. The same creator later made Hunter X Hunter, which is another good choice, at least up to (or through, depending) the end of the Greed Island arc.

Takahashi got a mention, but Inuyasha isn't her best. I'd normally suggest Maison Ikkoku for her works, but that doesn't have any fighting in. Ranma 1/2 would probably be worth a look for you, though, as long as you don't need a story to be completely wrapped up at the end.

More recently, you could check out Claymore. Not a big fan of the way it's ending the series, but other than that it's pretty solid. Kind of a Berserk Lite, with the same poviso about reading the manga to finish the story.

Although, if you're going that route, you may as well stick with Berserk unless the older animation style turns you off.

And if you are willing to do the manga bit, Battle Angel Alita (and Last Order) are good choices.

Naruto and Bleach are recent, but they do seem highly favored. As mentioned, One Piece is good if you check out the original.

Read or Die, the OVA is short and to the point and has some great action scenes. Where else do you get to watch a hand-to-hand fight between people who can phase through matter?

Let's see... what else? Hmm. You probably won't believe this, but the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise is actually pretty damn good shounen action. Yeah, the first few episodes look like pure cliche magical girl, but that changes dramatically once Fate shows up. Sadly, this series has much better fight choreography than almost all the straight-up shounen action shows.

--"It may be the only series I've seen with long dramatic flashbacks to things that happened 5 minutes ago in the same episode..."

Sadly, most shounen action shows seem to resort to this kind of thing. It's one of the big reasons why the manga is usually better, since they don't have to pad it out to fill a time slot.

--"Inuyasha you can watch forever"

Unfortunately, most Rumiko Takahashi works are like that. Maison Ikkoku is the big exception.

Wraith
        "That's right, two people doing it together is more fun that doing it alone, right? Although, when three people do it, it starts to get a little abnormal."
        -- Tsuyuri ("Doujin Work")

Comment

• No one in this thread has plugged Full Metal Panic! ? I recently recommended it to JM, who seemed to like it. The second series, Fumoffu, had me in stitches a lot.

Comment

• Anyone watch Episode 1 of Elfenlied ?
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker
              Inuyasha you can watch forever and the only thing that happens is he gets more sparkly **** on his sword.
              Not sure what are you talking about, i watched it in just a week (all 167 episodes). 1st place in my Fantasy anime ranking

Originally posted by Wraith
              Let's see... what else? Hmm. You probably won't believe this, but the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise is actually pretty damn good shounen action. Yeah, the first few episodes look like pure cliche magical girl, but that changes dramatically once Fate shows up. Sadly, this series has much better fight choreography than almost all the straight-up shounen action shows.
              Yes, i rank it as a number one in "spell battles" category. There is even some magical system, lots of spells, even some tactics in a fight (unfortunately not much of it, for example most fights turn into several "fair" simultaneous duels). Spells look flashy and in this anime they use them like a real combat spells instead of just a special effects before the true weapons like swords (unfortunately happens all the time in anime, IMHO they like swords too much, why the hell mages fight with swords???).

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              No one in this thread has plugged Full Metal Panic! ? I recently recommended it to JM, who seemed to like it. The second series, Fumoffu, had me in stitches a lot.
              First season is good but only because of a school series, mecha series are boring. Fumoffu is a 100% school comedy (basically, more of what was the best in a 1st season), i rank it as a 2nd best anime comedy. FMP: Second Raid is a Mecha and it's much better than a 1st season.
              Last edited by Ellestar; September 14, 2007, 04:15.
              Knowledge is Power

Comment

• Originally posted by Wraith
                --"How about the best of all time?"

Well, it's not my preferred genre, so I'm probably not the best to ask, but here goes.

There's the ever-obvious Dragonball. That's one of the series that went on too long, of course, so more towards the start than the end. In fact, this one went on so much too long that the creator himself got bored with it. Dragonball GT doesn't have much interaction from Toriyama at all.
                At the end of Dragonball GT Goku sneezes and accidently destroys all of creation.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Dragonball GT was horrible The best was dragonball1. And drabonball Z was doomed the instant they made an episode after the frieza saga
                  if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
                  X