No announcement yet.

What should I major in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont know about a double major in two very different fields. won't that take several years? I've already spent 2 years without a major after all!
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Don't forget universities aren't supposed to be practical. If you want that head for the community colleges or technical schools instead. In university you are supposed to learn a broad spectrum of things that will serve as the foundation for the rest of your life.

So the thing is - what is this you are interested in doing?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
        i dont know about a double major in two very different fields. won't that take several years? I've already spent 2 years without a major after all!
        You could do it in four years, but my point ties into what UR said, university is a time for exploring and expanding your mind, often outside of the lecture hall. From what you have posted over the years, it seems to me that you're going to succeed, not because of any piece of paper, but because you have ambition combined with a strong work ethic. So you could explore the oppotunities that a university offers you. Take, I don't know, maybe a first year astronomy course, or English Lit, or statistics. There's nothing wrong with going off the tangent.

One of my friends was a straight A student in high school, went into engineering, did a masters and has a great job. Meanwhile, I flunked out of high school, did night school to get into university, got kicked out of uni, yet got a BA and then an MA, and these days I'm working or a major daily and life is fine.

In other words, your path is your own, it may be straight, or it may be crooked, but in the end, only you can decide the path you take and the best path is the one you want to take, and if you end up on a path you don't want to take it can still be interesting.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
          I did Political Science and Economics in 4 years. Have you taken a good number of classes in any other subject (like History?). If so, you can focus on some of those required classes and get out in time.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran:

Temple has a major called Political Economy that is a joint venture between the poli sci and econ depts.

most of the business majors are only a few courses apart, especially as a Finance major, for example, has to take a number of non-Finance business electives and economics electives, which can be courses in let's say Marketing... so I guess it wouldn't be hard at all to have a dual Finance and Marketing major or at least a major in Finance and maybe an Econ minor (I'm not sure Temple gives Marketing minors)

so that brings up the question... what would be better? a double major in Finance and Accounting, two closely related fields, a double major in Finance and Economics, two related fields, or a double major in Finance and Marketing, two not so related fields?
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Answer - pick the one that interests you most.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Temple has a major called Political Economy that is a joint venture between the poli sci and econ depts.

Ugh... when you combine departments you get shafted in both subjects.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Very true, like joint ventures in real life.

Comment

Working...
                  X