What should I major in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I major in?

I'm entering my junior year and I still do not have a major though I've been taking university core and business admin courses for the past two years. I want to do something business-related but what specifically, I'm clueless.

Here are the business majors offered by my university. Can anyone tell me anything useful about these areas that would help me in making my decision? Should I stay the hell away from one? Are you yourself involved in a field? Anything...

Accounting
    Actuarial Science (exactly what is this? it has the most stringent GPA requirement)
    Economics
    E-marketing
    Entrepreneurship
    Finance
    Human Resources
    Law and Business
    Management Info Systems
    Marketing
    Real Estate
    Risk Management
    Management/Economics
    Management/Employee Benefits
    Management/Finance
    Management/Healthcare
    Management/Law and Business
    Management/Marketing
    Management/Property Liability

I also don't know if i should pick a specific major or go the more general route and pick the management/major option. please help

thank you
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Actuarial Science has got to do with calculating insurance premiums and stuff like that.
    CSPA

Comment

If you actually want to do any of things on that list after you graduate, focus your efforts on that. If none of those things in particular grabs you, or you plan on going to grad school, you might be better served by taking a more broad approach.

Oh, and Actuarial Science is basically about calculating probabilities of outcomes as they relate to people - ie. risks of death etc. for insurance purposes. It can be quite lucrative, and is almost certainly filled with the most dull nerds who walk the face of the earth.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

If you want to make lots of money, Real Estate.

Originally said by Mark Twain
        Buy land. They quit making it.

Words to live by.
        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I do plan to go on to grad school... hopefully Wharton but, if failing that, Temple's Fox School.

so, kontiki, do you suggest going the management/major route if I'm going on to grad school?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Something associated with the health care/medical industry.
            Pharmacist maybe.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

healthcare? people have been touting about nursing for ten years now and now half of the females in college are nursing students! pharmacists too will be a dime a dozen in a few years i bet.

anyway, i've already decided on business. what specifically though I don't know...

Comment

You're screwing up, but glad you made a decision.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

why am i screwing up?

Comment

Accounting
                    Going into buisness it is a good idea to have a solid understanding of accounting. My sister-in-law is a CPA and has a private buisness that she does part time and makes out pretty well. I like accounting, not because it's boring, but because if coupled with another buisness degree can get you far. The most successful accountant I know was a corporate accountant for Canning companies around Fresno, CA. One of the companies he worked for was going bankrupt pretty fast because of poor buisness practices which were pretty easy to spot in his ledger, but the owners were stupid. In the end he bought the company at very reduced price and is now owner of a company that makes specialty products (sun dried tomatoes, olives with garlic in them, etc...). He is very successful.

Actuarial Science (exactly what is this? it has the most stringent GPA requirement)
                    An actuary is a person who judges how much to insure something for and how much it will cost to insure it. I have a buddy who wants to do this. It sounds boring, but if you can hook up with a big insurance comapny or an auction house you can do well.

Economics
                    Boring. IMO, unless you want to become DanS or Adam Smith economics can be more of a hobby for some who is buisness minded like yourself. I think those who major in Economics turn into investors, not buisness men.

E-marketing
                    No idea, sounds like sales.

Entrepreneurship
                    Is this a major? Sounds cool, but what kind of skills or knowledge will you obtain that you will not get from your chosen career path? If you learn to network and write a buisness plan do you pretty much have a minor in Ent? I don't know, sounds like "life skills" type course to me.

Finance
                    I have a friend who got his degree in Finance and he does very well as a corporate banker. It sounds boring to me, and he is constantly going outside of his job to satisfy his career goals. Is that productive?

Human Resources
                    People suck... don't deal with them.

Law and Business
                    Business Law sounds interesting and could possibly give a lot of knowledge that others in whatever career path you choose will not have, but should. To me, this sounds most interesting, especially if you are willing to go to Law school afterwards.

Management Info Systems
                    Sounds like a high paying job that will bore your socks off.

Marketing
                    Many very, very wealthy people have this degree, or are successful because of their ability to sale. If you have the chutzpah/moxy required you can't go wrong.

Real Estate
                    This, like Entrepeneurship, doesn't present a skill set that you wouldn't obtain easily by just persuing the career path. I would sooner get a finance degree and persue real estate.

Risk Management
                    I don't know what this is. Sounds something like an actuary

Management/Economics
                    Management/Finance
                    Management/Healthcare
                    Management/Marketing
                    All very good. However, I think that Management degrees at the onset of a career can hurt even more than they can help. Imagine all the MBAs walking around out there with no real experience. They are all (well, most) greedy little school boys with no education to speak of. I could be wrong, but I think you would be better served getting one of the other degrees and then deciding if a Management degree is something you want or even need to grow within your company.

My advice; pick a career path or even an industry and then decide were you want to be in 10 years and then figure out, by studying those that are there, what to do. One thing that might be useful is to look at the board of directors for major corporations and then research their history and the steps they took to get where they are.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

You spoke of numbers of people going to health care industry like 10 bazillion a year don't go into business.

This Sunday, do a quick scan of the Philly paper.
                      People get sick. In all probability, in your lifetiime they always will.

Comment

you shoud major in keepin' it real, dawg

[/ted striker]
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I think those who major in Economics turn into investors, not buisness men.

I went into law

Anyway, Finance is a good major from those I've known who have done it. Accounting is boring to most, but it depends on what type of person you are Speer. And being a law type, I find Law and Business to be intriguing. I did enjoy Economics, but Japher may be right that it doesn't really impart much business skills.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I hold a Bachelor's degree in Bus. Adm. and a Master's degree in Marketing (Economics), so I can shed a light on some of these areas.

My first recommendation is to look for a balance: don't go too lateral, but don't go too deep either.
                            These directions are not recommended because they are too focused and thus give you little added value in a broader perspective:

E-marketing
                            Entrepreneurship
                            Human Resources
                            Management Info Systems
                            Risk Management
                            Management/Healthcare

Now, the remaining areas can be divided into four categories: (1) technical and financial, (2) law & property, (3) general economic science, and (4) commercial.

(1)
                            If you like to work with numbers and you have no problems with your job being as imagination-less as a Malaysian car, then go with technical/financial. Mind you, these are "hot" areas where you will have good chances in the job market for very good salaries.

Accounting
                            Actuarial Science (basically it's insurance maths)
                            Finance (might be a bit too broad, i.e. a variety of courses running from pension funds to treasury)
                            Management/Finance

(2)
                            Law and property can come in handy as well. I found my law course very interesting, but I don't know how it'd have panned out if I actually focused on this area. It is incredibly boring and tedious browsing through law articles. I think I'd pick just one course from this that you might find interesting (e.g. contract law) to increase knowledge on a lateral base.

Law and Business
                            Real Estate

(3)
                            It's a mixed bag here, some technical aspects, some softer aspects. Nothing really exciting, and job security is a bit of mixed bag as well.

Economics
                            Management/Economics

(4)
                            This is my area. I like the commercial area a lot more because it is more dynamic and you deal with many more issues. You sit pretty much in the middle, between consumer and back-office (the technical/financial area is very back-office). The only problem is that the job market is not really tremendous in this particular area.

Marketing
                            Management/Marketing

So, really, it's about your own passion and the challenge that you're after that determines your choice.

Comment

I'd pick just one course from this that you might find interesting (e.g. contract law)
                              Interesting? Contract Law?... this is why I am an engineer

So, really, it's about your own passion and the challenge that you're after that determines your choice.
                              So true. It doesn't matter what you pick, if you don't like it you will suck at it.
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X