Canada may declare a war on US!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

I want real examples, not how harley lost a few million in potential sales.

You've got 700 billion to explain.

Where's the beef?
    618 billion. And there are something like 250,000 exporters in the US, one of them isn't going to account for 100 billion all by itself.

Comment

Do you really think that there are 250 000 cases like the one you just mentioned?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What a conspiracy theorist. Some japanese motorcycle maker manages to get a piece of targetted legislation through and all of a sudden it explains the world's biggest current account deficit

God knows the same sorts of hijinks don't happen in the US...

Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Do you really think that there are 250 000 cases like the one you just mentioned?

I do think that Tariff and non-tariff barriers by the rest of the world limit US exports,yes.

Comment

Son, do you understand the numbers involved?

Do you think that US exprters are so limited by non-tariff barriers that it explains most of the current account deficit?
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Nontarriff barriers is the most facile explanation I've ever heard for the state of the US NIIP
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

I do think that Tariff and non-tariff barriers by the rest of the world limit US exports,yes.

Comment

Are you going to answer my question or not?

You've stated that you think non-tariff barriers limit US exports. This is obviously true, and nontariff barriers exist in the US as well. Legal tariff barriers do not enter into it, as we're discussing nations which have trade agreements with the US which limit the tariffs bilaterally or multilaterally.

The question now is whether or not you're going to make the claim that non-tariff barriers are even a significant piece of this puzzle. Do you think that they block hundreds of billions of dollars worth of exports from the US every year? Do you think that there's some sort of wide-ranging conspiracy to deny US exporters access to markets across the world?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes I believe they do as well. Perhaps not hundreds of billions but they are significant.

Comment

And how many of them are in place in Canada?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Whoha, you are a freaking nut (well you'd have to be to be a protectionist, I guess). KH is right... that's a HELL of a lot of money to be blocked by non-tariff barriers. So much that it's absurd to claim that is the main problem!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What the **** is the problem with Americans?
                          I dunno. Why don't you ask your fellow Baltimorians?
                          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

What generally drives imports and exports to more or less match anyway? It seems to me as if they are driven by entirely different consumers and there doesn't seem to be anything to cause them to relate to each other directly or even indirectly.

Comment

But yeah, I'd be in favour of putting an export tax on all energy products to the US until this is resolved. Hydro, oil, natural gas, coal.

Do it on an increasing basis. Start at a dollar a barrel, and move from there...
                              I think the Government is thinking corn. :http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/National/

In any event, you don't want to use an export tax, which simply makes your commodity uncompetative. Adding tariffs makes the other guy's commodity uncompetative.
                              Last edited by techumseh; August 24, 2005, 22:27.
                              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                                What generally drives imports and exports to more or less match anyway? It seems to me as if they are driven by entirely different consumers and there doesn't seem to be anything to cause them to relate to each other directly or even indirectly.
                                Currency exchange rates. If country A have a trade surplus with country B then A will hold a surplus of B's currency. A isn't buying goods with the money, so either he's buying his own currency back or he's investing in B's economy. Either way, he drives down the value of B's currency relative to his own, making it harder to export goods and services to B...
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X