X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada may declare a war on US!

Who will win?

Canada hints at trade war with U.S.

REGINA, Canada (AP) -- The Canadian government on Tuesday hinted at an escalating trade war with the United States, with two federal ministers warning of tariffs on American products in retaliation for Washington's policies against Canadian lumber.

Trade Minister Jim Peterson is identifying areas where Canadian tariffs could put maximum pressure on the U.S. economy with minimal damage domestically, two of his cabinet colleagues told reporters attending a Liberty Party caucus in western Canada.

Industry Minister David Emerson used a sports analogy to describe the federal government's willingness to retaliate against its NAFTA partner.

"I have a background from my younger days in hockey. When somebody slammed you into the boards with undue force and aggression, you took their number," Emerson said. "I think we've got to take their number."

The Bush administration imposed the tariffs in 2002 after accusing Canada of subsidizing its lumber industry. Most U.S. timber is harvested from private land at market prices, while in Canada, the government owns 90 percent of timberlands and charges fees for logging.

The warning comes one week after the United States announced it would ignore a decision by a NAFTA panel that found Canadian lumber exports did not harm U.S. producers.

Emerson said Ottawa was trying to "identify a number of products where a tariff on American exports into Canada can be applied without serious damage to the Canadian economy and, hopefully, with maximum impact in the U.S."

Canada is already seeking WTO authorization for billions of dollars in punitive tariffs against U.S. imports and is going before the U.S. Court of International Trade in New York to force the refund of duties.

With more that 80 percent of Canadian exports going to the United States and the countries exchanging $1 billion each day, Canada would need to tread carefully to avoid a crippling trade war.

But the federal government is intent on making its point that U.S. Customs has illegally collected $4.1 billion in tariffs on Canadian softwood since 2002, said Finance Minister Ralph Goodale.

"We want to make sure that whatever option we pursue is effective in making our point ... without at the same time shooting ourselves in the foot," he said.

"Canada has wanted to make it very clear that we are not happy with the position of the United States to simply ignore what is a clear NAFTA ruling in Canada's favor," Goodale said.

One particularly tough measure has already been ruled out: imposing export quotas on Canadian oil going to the United States. Emerson, who initially supported the idea when he was a lumber industry executive, now says it would unfairly saddle the western oil producing province of Alberta with the bulk of the economic fallout.

"We are stronger as a country when we pull together in a unified way," he said.
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Damn, and here we were trying to keep this contained to a single thread with stealth technolgy (TM).
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

One particularly tough measure has already been ruled out: imposing export quotas on Canadian oil going to the United States. Emerson, who initially supported the idea when he was a lumber industry executive, now says it would unfairly saddle the western oil producing province of Alberta with the bulk of the economic fallout.
        Thank God. Sanity.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Incidently, Emerson is a wimp!

Energy exports are the one thing we could effect that would be most effective, and the Yanks would have the least power against.

Come Dec 15, turn off the gas lines. Turn off the oil. Turn off the power. Shut the NE and parts of the Mid West down.

Assuming GWB didn't assume that OBL had taken over and invade, it would be very effective. It would also be much of Canada effected (BC, AB, SK, ON, and PQ).
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Or, just embargo all wood products.

That could be good too. The NY Times would scream bloody murder.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

Incidently, I've been looking for a bank that will allow me to keep funds in Euros. Haven't found one locally. Anyone have any suggestions?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

While the US talks of free trade, it keeps trying to close its own markets by accusing effective competitors of dumping, or subsidizing (this is particularly ironic), or some such. Then it can slap tariffs on them.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't know...if Chavez actually carries out his threat to cut oil shipments to the United States, Canada putting quotas on its oil shipments suddenly has a lot more bite.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                    I don't know...if Chavez actually carries out his threat to cut oil shipments to the United States, Canada putting quotas on its oil shipments suddenly has a lot more bite.
                    Rumsfeld just said that Ralph Klein is a closet muslim and the CIA just leaked a document that mentions the city of Red Deer as an obvious Communist hotbed.
                    What?

Comment

just curious: are those steel tariffs still in place or got they lifted ?
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

So anyone here cheering patent US hypocrasy when it comes to the rule of tlaw over international free trade?
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I suggest we "trade" Canada some nuclear weapons if they try anything.

Comment

clearly, Canada needs to join the EU
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The USA shouldn't be putting tarriffs on Canadian Lumber, but Canda also shouldn't escalate this into trade war. Trade wars help nobody.
                              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Working...
                              X