No announcement yet.

Note to self: never EVER mess with Korean labor protestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not entirely sure why there is such a discrepancy with so many countries but will look into it when I have the time (I've been really busy today helping fit the mast to a friend's Catamaran)

I can think of two possible reasons:
    -Different structure of the bussiness sector, including workers -employers relations and unionization - this approach faces problems with europe, who AFAIK has relatively stronger unionization than Israel, for example.
    - Different industries have different importances for capital and labor.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

What, specifically, is this latest labor tiff about?
      B♭3

Comment

Korean labor
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I don't know what the problem is, my work hours are rather like the Koreans.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

what's your pay like, doc?

yeah that's what I thought

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Being a doctor, he probably deserves every cent of it.

Comment

depends...

just being a doctor doesn't mean he deserves it
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I just cannot help but imagine what the United States would be like if the Teamsters were like this. I've seen some of those guys through my dad.
                  Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Originally posted by DerSchwarzfalke
                    I've seen some of those guys through my dad.
                    SON OF THE INVISIBLE MAN!
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

SYNTAX ERROR.
                      Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

no sorry, you are exposed... your father will now be taken into custody so he can be studied.

we have thermal goggles, there is no escape!
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Notes:

-a lot of these protests are 'seasonal'. I noticed that there is always somekind of huge 'demo' in august.

-Intriguingly, the majority of red scarves, headbands, signs etc are not made by unions, communist orgs or individuals but are bought from a single Seoul based private company which specializes and has its ENTIRE business based around 'demo paraphernalia'.

Somewhat ironically, the private corp was able to deliver banners, signs, and other stuff more quickly, at lower cost, and with personalized slogans than the unions were. Take that however you want.

Remember 'Bosh', just look for an Australian if you get mixed up in a riot.....they usually know what to do...

Like 'Bosh' said, to be a unionized worker at a big company in SK is a cushy job (for Asia...) these guys are protesting because:
                          a) those jobs are going to china
                          b) they get lots of money but they must work PUNISHING hours
                          c) it's just that time of year again
                          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Sounds like they're right to protest - They were paid a lot - but also worked very hard for that money. And now they're going to get their livelyhoods taken away from them.

Protestors ( the is for the molotov cocktails, which shouldn't be used)
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              Korea is an authoritarian state with the corporations firmly in control, even if moderate-left-wingers win the elections from time to time. Yeah, I feel bad for the draftees, but when you stand against freedom, I'm not gonna feel too bad.
                              so are they protesting for further POLITICAL reforms to make the state more democratic? What is the political reform agenda in South Korea?
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                                what's your pay like, doc?

yeah that's what I thought

About the same as a pharmacist.
                                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                                X