Gmail problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gmail problems!

So there I was, sitting back, looking pretty chuffed. I had just finished transferring all my e-mail addresses from my myriad accounts to gmail. It was a long and laborious task, but worth it in the end as I prepared to send my friends an e-mail letting them know of my change in e-mail.

I clicked the send button only to be informed "some addresses in the 'To' field were not recognized. Please make sure that all addresses are properly formed".

I've just finished checking through them for the 2nd time (all 80 of them)! As far as I can see, there's nothing wrong with any of them. The thing that really annoys me is that gmail won't even tell me which address is causing the problem - something that hotmail does!

So, does anyone have any suggestions about how I can find out which address is causing the problems, besides a trial and error process of e-mailing all my friends until I stumble across the culprit? Surely there must be some hand computer programme on the internet somewhere that can scan the e-mails and tell me which are valid or not?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
    STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

post the list here

Comment

edit: didn't read the entire o.p.
      CSPA

Comment

you need to separate them w/ commas

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          post the list here
          I'm rather reluctant to post my friends e-mail addresses on a public forum - I don't want the spam bots paying them a visit.

I hope I'm not being too presumptuous, but if that was an offer by you to scan the list I could PM you the addresses.

@ Wiglaf - commas aren't the problem.

It's probably something really, really obvious I'm not seeing.

Comment

Split the list in two and send one half. If it fails the culprit is in that 40. Send the other half. If it doesn't fail, the bad address is clearly in the other 40. Continue with the half that failed... Repeat.

If it's only one bad e-mail address and not more, and not a problem with how you strung them together, you'll only have to send 7 e-mails to find out which is the bad one.

There are plenty of Javascripts out there that can test e-mail addresses for validity, but a lot of those are outdated already, because they forget about new top-level domains like .info (though that won't be a problem for you if none of your friends use any of those new funny ones). The scripts available online only check for one e-mail address usually too, but if you know a little bit of Javascript you could edit that to take an entire list I'm sure.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Check for things such as an extra space or two full stops.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

There are plenty of Javascripts out there that can test e-mail addresses for validity, but a lot of those are outdated already, because they forget about new top-level domains like .info
                Interesting. Could it be possible that as my e-mail addresses end with .ie or .co.uk that gmail might consider them invalid? I can't believe that google would do something so rubbish, but it's about all I've got.

The scripts available online only check for one e-mail address usually too, but if you know a little bit of Javascript you could edit that to take an entire list I'm sure.
                Me no speak computer talk.

Check for things such as an extra space or two full stops.
                No problem there.

Any other suggestions please? Otherwise it looks like I'm going to have to follow Mercator's advice and check through them methodically.

If things don't go so well, it might be back to hotmail.

Gmail.

Comment

Originally posted by our_man
                  Interesting. Could it be possible that as my e-mail addresses end with .ie or .co.uk that gmail might consider them invalid? I can't believe that google would do something so rubbish, but it's about all I've got.
                  I don't think that can be possible. Certainly not for .ie and .co.uk. They're pretty common. And e-mail services don't use any of those rubbish scripts either. Or um, I have no idea how they work really.

Me no speak computer talk.

Um, yeah... My Javascript is too rusty at the moment.

Any other suggestions please?

Have you tried the Gmail help system?
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

Have you tried the Gmail help system?
                    No luck there either. Guys, I've looked for extra spaces, commas etc. and I am finding nothing. Is there anything else that anyone can think of that could be causing it?

I'll try your suggestion tomorrow about 'divide & conquer' Mercator if no-one else has any ideas.

Comment

Working...
                    X