A talk with an Air Force Recruiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    What the hell is the CG doing the ME? What part of our coast is in the ME?
    Since Nam the CG has been going over to war zone and during their part.

They should now be part of DOD and not HLS.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

Damn.....shut up!

Well, I had my meeting with the recruiter today. He was totally cool, no pressure at all. Asked me a little bit about myself and lightly described some info about the A.F. and how getting placed in the A.F. is like. He also told me about the options I have as well as future prospects.

He DID ask for my college GPA (which wasn't the greatest) and said that it would be an uphill battle as well as OTS being very competitive as well.

Also, he described the difference between enlisted and officers a bit more (I still don't really get it 100%). He said that with my degree, I'd probably be enlisted at a higher rank but it wouldn't be the same as if I went straight to OTS.

Additionally, he said that I would pick 5 jobs from a list, and I would get one of those 5. Lastly, he said that with my degree I'd probably go into the medical field (which isn't that bad, actually that's really good).

He said that to help me out, I should probably pick up an ASVAB study guide which I just picked up today for review. So, he gave me his card and said to call him if I had any questions.

The whole process was maybe 30 minutes. Very short. Far shorter than I thought it was going to be.
      From what you just posted, forget being an Office right away. He wants you to be an enlisted. His promotion is not clear. They JUST MIGHT MAKE YOU an E-2 upon finnishing Boot Camp. No biggie there because in the Navy, the top 10% of boots make E-2 out of boot. The rest come out as E-1s.

H3ll at this point check out the Army, Navy and CG.

All Marines are Infantry, so don't go there.

Now if you still want the AF, in boot you can request an interview for OCS. They will make you take a bunch of tests and you do good, they just might send you to OCS.

Good Luck

Joseph

Comment

This is funny with my asvab scores they wanted to put me into mechanical work were i scored the highest. Funny I amnot in the military and am a nurse
        course i do have good mechanical skills i work on my own car
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Coast Guard is dangerous

Drug runners are often better armed than terrorists and enemy navies.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I have to lose 10 pounds to make the maximum height/weight numbers. I told him that basically by the middle or ending of September, I'll know if I'm going. I just need to think about this more, get more info, and ask more questions. I have his card so he said I can call him up anytime.

And I gotta study the ASVAB more, the mathematical part I didn pretty bad on the first practice test.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I can't believe they make an ASVAB study guide! Hilarious. I also wonder if you can't get a better deal than one MOS from a list of 5. THat sounds dodgy to me. Insist on the one you want and if he doesn't guarantee it in writing tell him to get stuffed.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

I bet you a beer for the next San Diego meet.

* Lonestar sticks out hand.
                I'll take your word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
                  From what you just posted, forget being an Office right away. He wants you to be an enlisted. His promotion is not clear. They JUST MIGHT MAKE YOU an E-2 upon finnishing Boot Camp. No biggie there because in the Navy, the top 10% of boots make E-2 out of boot. The rest come out as E-1s.

H3ll at this point check out the Army, Navy and CG.

All Marines are Infantry, so don't go there.

Now if you still want the AF, in boot you can request an interview for OCS. They will make you take a bunch of tests and you do good, they just might send you to OCS.

Good Luck

Joseph
                  not all marines are infantry now . I knew some guys on my helicopter carrier (LPH class- no longer active). They essentually do the same job navy mechanics do. But they fixed helicopters instead of jets. Well they fix jets as well, since the marines use harrier jump jets. There were none permanently station on my ship though, it was old, and wasn't designed to support extended harrier operations.

I'm sure the marines have some electronics fields as well. But I'm not sure if they could guarantee you those fields.

The marines are better now days. But a friend of mine joined the marines in the late 80's. He's half Thai (half american). But he took a lot of heat for being asian. Perhaps they thought he was vietnamese. He eventually got out on a hardship discharge, he was being harrassed too much. They forced him out. Marines were pretty racists back then. They probably still are. But I did see a couple asian marines on the USS Guam.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                    I can't believe they make an ASVAB study guide! Hilarious. I also wonder if you can't get a better deal than one MOS from a list of 5. THat sounds dodgy to me. Insist on the one you want and if he doesn't guarantee it in writing tell him to get stuffed.
                    I think there is one. I think I got an 89 without studying. Which is high enough to get you any job you want.

You could always join nuclear navy. . The problem there is there are 3 main fields. And you really can't choose which you go into. They ask you what you want. But I didn't get any of what I wanted. I didn't originally want to be a machinist mate (in the nuclear field they were called mechanical operators). But the good thing is MM's can go to ELT (engineering laboratory technician) which is what I did. I prefer that over being a regular MM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

Damn.....shut up!

Well, I had my meeting with the recruiter today. He was totally cool, no pressure at all. Asked me a little bit about myself and lightly described some info about the A.F. and how getting placed in the A.F. is like. He also told me about the options I have as well as future prospects.

He DID ask for my college GPA (which wasn't the greatest) and said that it would be an uphill battle as well as OTS being very competitive as well.

Also, he described the difference between enlisted and officers a bit more (I still don't really get it 100%). He said that with my degree, I'd probably be enlisted at a higher rank but it wouldn't be the same as if I went straight to OTS.

Additionally, he said that I would pick 5 jobs from a list, and I would get one of those 5. Lastly, he said that with my degree I'd probably go into the medical field (which isn't that bad, actually that's really good).

He said that to help me out, I should probably pick up an ASVAB study guide which I just picked up today for review. So, he gave me his card and said to call him if I had any questions.

The whole process was maybe 30 minutes. Very short. Far shorter than I thought it was going to be.

just be careful. They usually play like cool guys, and try to be your friend. But they are there to do a job after all. They'll try to push you into low manned fields. Just make sure they can gurantee you what you want, or you walk.

And be careful about that higher enlisted rank crap. They might be able to get you E-2 out of boot camp. But I heard it's a little harder to make rank in the airforce than in the navy. Depending on you field, you maybe can make E-3 out of boot camp. But until you make E-4 you aren't ****. And even in the navy E-4's aren't ****. You really don't get any respect until you make E-6. So keep that in mind

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

not all marines are infantry now .
                        He's refering to the "Every Marine a rifleman" mythos, and as artillary units are rotating through to Iraq without their guns, it might not matter what MOS he takes.
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

He's refering to the "Every Marine a rifleman" mythos, and as artillary units are rotating through to Iraq without their guns, it might not matter what MOS he takes.
                          Even the Air Force isn't completely exempt from this. Some of their transport units are on convoy duty in Iraq now. I imagine that the SPs also are deployed.
                          He's got the Midas touch.
                          But he touched it too much!
                          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                          X