1.3% of Americans are Mormons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playful, that goes for all religion.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Guess I'm just a discontented former Mormon
      One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

I'm sure there's many more of you.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Jewish advisors?

Seriously, whats the deal with American Episcopalians and Canterbury, and the king. I mean the whole point of the Act of Supremacy was that it was wrong for a foreign institution to control the spiritual life of England, right? That the bad thing about the Pope denying Henry his annulment was that it was done for political reasons, out of deference to Charles the V, and not for religious reasons, so that Englands future was held hostage to considerations of Italian politics, right? And legal precedent was established for the ancient autonomy of the English church, under local kings, going back to mythical 2nd century monarchs.

So like, its 1783, and these dudes in Virginia, etc, have shaken off the king, said good bye to their departing loyalist cousins, and pledged loyalty to the Republic. And they decide to keep their church subordinate to a foreign clergyman, himself appointed by the very same foreign potentate theyd just waged war against. Kinda puts them right back, politically, where Henry was in 1529, huh? Now theologically, it would seem to make sense to go back to Rome, or something like that. Though I guess that wouldnt have made them popular with their Congregational neighbors, and would have been a problem for their married clergy, their low church members, etc. But still, it seems to be a huge contradiction.
          Actually the Protestant Episcopal Church is not subservient to the Church of England. We have our own Presiding Bishop. The Anglican Communion is made up of a bunch of autonomous churches whose relaionship to Canterbury is similar to that of the Eastern churchs' relationship with the Metropolitan of Istanbul.
          After the revolution the English hierarchy wouldn't even talk to the break away clergy in the US, so the first bishops of PECUSA were actually invested by a bishop in Scotland.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

some day
            a mormon will lose the presidency to a kenyan
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
            X