1.3% of Americans are Mormons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

We Anglicans can get divorced. Our preists can get married. We can have women and gay priests (and even a Bishop). We're way cooler than Catholics.
    I thought you were Jewish

I think the Pope is gay, top that.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The Cathedral of St. John the Devine is a great place.
      Its also, as Ozzy said, immense, utterly immense.

The following is a picture of the great Rose Window. In the middle you can see am image of Jesus. Keep in mind that image is life sized (5 feet 7 inches, or 1.7 m)
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Also, just a tid bit, St. John the Devine is the largest Cathedral in the world (A cathedral defined as a church which seats a bishop). They have yet to finish it, given they lack the money to do it.

Comment

Cathedrals
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
            Also, just a tid bit, St. John the Devine is the largest Cathedral in the world (A cathedral defined as a church which seats a bishop). They have yet to finish it, given they lack the money to do it.
            They had a fire last year too.

My friend's who took me there said it was the 2nd largest Gothic Cathedral in the world. It was really big, but I can't believe its that big. Especially since no one seems to know about it. Surely all those famous cathedrals in Europe are bigger.... right? I need to find a link on it, cause I'm skeptical.

If its true though, how utterly sad and depressing that the biggest (or second biggest) cathedral in the world can only get like 50 people (maybe more, i'm really bad at estimating crowds) together for a service.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Its remarkably similar - I was stunned, wondered why they are separate churches. So I went to communion at a friend's funeral recently.
              Some of the Popes back in that era (renaissance and reformation) were downright spooky if you don't mind my saying so.

Then there was the question of a king's power over the church in his kingdom. The kings of France and Spain and the Holy Roman Emporers had a fair amount of control over the church in their kingdoms, but the English didn't becasue the papacy punished the king of England over the Thomas a Becket affair. The punishment shouldn't have been made permanent. After all the French executed the leader of an eclesiastic order and even put forth their own fake Pope without so severe a punishment.

Anyway, the diversity is good for you.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

St. Peter's Basilica and the church at Yamoussoukro are both bigger, but neither are Cathedrals.

St. John's is bigger than any of the grand gothic cathedrals of Europe but its unfinshed and I don;t think the Towers were meant to be as high. Even though it is currently under construction, the Cathedral is built only using stone masonry, which is why its so slow and expensive.

As for the sad attendance-The Episcopalian church in New York City is not what it used to be, and I don;t think the location is that great either. If it were a Catholic Cathdral it would probably get more people, St. Patricks, which is much smaller, gets more people than that by far.

Comment

It's big, it just looks small because it's in New York.

Diagram of world's tallest (not necessarily largest) religious buildings:

SkyscraperPage's diagram system presents the world's tallest buildings to scale, all lined up in a row. Discover the world's skyscrapers right here.Skyscraper enthusiast website featuring buildings database, discussion forum and skyscraper diagrams.
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I've been to St. Patricks too, it was packed. I had to watch the Cardinal on a tv screen in the back. I definitely like St. John's better.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                      I guess they just don't like the Pope. *shrug*

Communion was different, I dunno if it was just at this church, but everyone formed a ring around the altar, and they people moved around the circle giving communion to everyone that way, instead of lining up. Oh, and instead of those wafer hosts they had like pita bread they just tore off pieces of. Everything was so similar I figured it was kosher for me to take communion there, as a Catholic.

They even follow the same liturgical calendar. Neat.
                      All of that is quite unusual. Traditionally the people come to the railing in front of the altar and the wafers are pre-punched pieces of plastic.

If you ever go back open up the "Book of Common Prayer". It lays out every type of service down to the most minute detail. For the most common types of service, Holy Communion some sections of the service have alternate forms provided, allowing a bit of variety. Even the scriptural readings are prescribed via a calender.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                        As for the sad attendance-The Episcopalian church in New York City is not what it used to be, and I don;t think the location is that great either. If it were a Catholic Cathdral it would probably get more people, St. Patricks, which is much smaller, gets more people than that by far.
                        What makes you think we're trying to get more people? There can be only so many Illuminati.

Comment

which is basically the catholic calendar and liturgy from what I can work out
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski

Thats funny cause when i saw the thread 45 % americans are morons i saw mormons. Tubers told me i wasnt that drunk that there was thread titled that. I was like whew thought my alochol intake needed to be upped to fix my reading problem
                            Well....you wouldn't be too off the mark on that one.

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                            *****Citizen of the Hive****
                            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I was stunned, wondered why they are separate churches.

Cause Henry wanted a divorce. Losing England for want of a divorce... silly Pope.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I thank you all for not insulting mormons in this thread. I came in this thread expecting the usual mormon jokes.

Half my family is mormon. .

that would be extended family. No one in my immediate family is religious, except maybe my mother. But she never goes to church anymore.

And Utah is still the 3rd greatest state in the union (behind Nevada and Arizona)

Comment

Working...
                                X