Mobile phones vs digital cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys thanks for all the extra info

I have my eyes on Nikon CoolPix 5600. It's 299 euros and they give you the little bag and a tripod for free. Anyway, it's like the Nikon 4600 but this one is 5,1 mp and has continuous video with sound. I figure I might as well pay the extra and have everything.

However, I notice it records the clips on Quicktime MOV. Which is ok since I think it's better than MPEG. However I wonder if that will play on a DVD player. I probably would have to convert it to MPEG to play to the DVD and maybe there's some quality loss from the conversion...

In the review I read however that it takes 6 seconds for the flash to reload and during that time the LCD screen goes blank. I don't know wether that would be a nuissance.

Comment

It can be, depends on your actual usage.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

However, I notice it records the clips on Quicktime MOV. Which is ok since I think it's better than MPEG. However I wonder if that will play on a DVD player. I probably would have to convert it to MPEG to play to the DVD and maybe there's some quality loss from the conversion...
        you could use Nero and procude a real dvd with menus and stuff

it's really easy, i converted 10 vcd's to mpeg and then to dvd for a friend...
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Mark I know it's easy (I have written audio CDs) However I'd have to convert the QuickTime movie files to something that can be played by a DVD (a mpeg?). I'm wondering if there could be a quality loss because of this conversion
          Other camers record immedieatly in MPEG format, so that's why I'm asking

Comment

I'd go with the Canon Ixus 500.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

i believe mpeg is similar to mov, i dont think you would have quality loss...
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I'm pretty set for Nikon 5600... found it for 279 euros. +50 the 512 SD card+ 8 for the little bag to put it in. 340 euros and I'm set.

Ok thanks to all of you for your help it's been really very helpful. And to MarkG for providing the reviews etc.

Now there's only one thing that bugs me. It's so incredibly small!!!! But almost all are. And the screen is pretty small at 1,8. But whatcanyoudo. I guess it's a matter of getting used to it.

Comment

You don't get quality loss converting digital image to digital image in the same way you get it converting analog to digital.

So converting video from mov won't alter the quality unless you use some sort of compression.

Comment

Hvala
                    Molim vas, gdje je WC

Comment

WC je 2 kune, decko...

Comment

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Sta dvije, dvadeset za pravoslavca...

Comment

What!... He just said thanks, and I said youre welcome...

Comment

if instead of havla you say kavla it means hornyness in greek. i can't wait for a croatian girl to say thank you to me.

Comment

Give her your expensive digital camera, that should do the trick

Comment

Working...
                                X