American corn - too sweet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American corn - too sweet ?

I recently bought some corn which was imported from the USA , to see what it was like . The first time I tried it , I had it roasted over a naked flame , until it was nicely done and just a little bit blackened on the outside . I then spread a mixture of lemon juice , salt , and ghee over it , and tried to eat it .

My first reaction was a "WTF ?" , because it turned out to be too sweet . I then tried eating one boiled . Turned out to be still too sweet . The soup I made out of them , however , was good . From then on , I've used it ony for soup .

I know that , thanks to the USA's crazy agricultural imoprt restrictions , most people on 'poly will not have tasted Indian corn , but I'd like the opinion of people from countries other than the USA about how their local produce compares to US imports , specially with respect to corn .
    Local is always better
    23.81%
    Imports are always better
    0.00%
    Local is better for some things , imports better for others
    47.62%
    I'm an importer of Bananas
    28.57%

There are different kinds of corn which have varying degrees of sweetness. That said, imported foods are never as good as localy grown.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

We like our corn sweet.

My current favorite is the Peaches N' Cream variety, which is so named both for it's sweetness, and for the presence of both white and yellow corn on each ear.

It seems to be a popular choice for the smaller Kansas farms this year.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yet again the Left blames Bush for ......

I like grilled corn on the cob with tomato salsa or chutney.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Indian corn means something entirely different here.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Southwestern Ontario has particularly sweet corn, I've noticed.
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Mmmmm... sweet corn. Though non-sweet can be good too .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I rarely eat maize, and when I do it's usually in the form of heavily salted popcorn.

AFAIK, they don'tgrow any here, but no idea where the imports may be from.
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

What the heck is this 'maze'?

It sounds like furriner food to me....

Seriously what do eurocoms call wheat if wheat is corn?
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

I love this time of the year, fresh corn, fresh vegetables out of the garden.

Bacon and tomatoes sandwiches.. yum

btw..what is American corn? Never heard of it.

Anyway the sweet corn grown locally is not too sweet. I like it very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                      What the heck is this 'maze'?

It sounds like furriner food to me....

Seriously what do eurocoms call wheat if wheat is corn?
                      Here, "corn" means barley, "wheat" means wheat, and "maize" means maize, the way God intended it.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I live in Finland. What do you mean by "local produce"?
                        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Maize is cattle feed, and it's called sweet corn for a reason.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The sweetness of corn depends on how long ago it was picked. The minute it is picked, the sugar (glucose?) starts turning to starch.

That said, people in North America, not just the US, like sweet corn. In Hong Kong, people like eating cold corn out of the can, and having lived here a while, I started to like it too.

And by the by, lemon juice, salt and ghee on corn sounds mighty tasty. I'll have to try it.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

To be clear, there are basically two kinds of corn: (1) "sweet corn," "corn on the cobb", etc. that is sweet; and (2) corn that is grown to be made into corn meal or cattle feed and isn't very sweet.

The vast majority that is grown falls into the second category, but at this time of year, people eat sweet corn either grilled or boiled. Serve hot. Melt lots of butter on it and put salt on it. Eat it off the cobb.

Yum.
                              Last edited by DanS; August 6, 2005, 15:21.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X