The reason why I don't switch to a Mac.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Not for the types of games I like. Besides, PCs will always be the most superior gaming platofrm, since they can be upgraded faster and to a machine far more powerful than any console. You buy a console and you're stuck with it until a new one comes out.

I can be a new graphics card every few months, if I have the money.
    A graphics card that costs the same price as an Xbox/Xbox360, but will be unable to provide you with better graphics because the games are tailored for one size fits all.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

You're forgetting the sad fact of lowest common denoninators that game developers look at. You may get a GeForce 7800 GTX today, but you won't find a game that will come close to pushing it to the limits.

Hell, the Xbox does a good job at DOOM3 and Half-Life 2, and that's basically a P3 733 and a GF4.

Don't underestimate the power of fixed, static hardware vs the abstracted PC hardware.
      Conversely it's important not to underestimate the extent which we'll all be screwed once one of the platform manufacturers manages to get enough control of the gaming market. Take a look at Gameboy game cartridges with their "tamper seal", proprietary opening tool and soldered on batteries (planned obsolescence at its finest!) to go with their hefty price tags.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
        A graphics card that costs the same price as an Xbox/Xbox360, but will be unable to provide you with better graphics because the games are tailored for one size fits all.
        That assumes you're on the bleeding edge, instead of a step or two back. Frequently new games push the edge in graphics, and you need the best cards to really experience all the happiness. If you don't have a great graphics card, you have to turn off various graphics features, and it just doesn't look as pretty.

With a console, you're locked in for years, unless you know how to hack your X-box (which I'm sure people do).

Anyway, I've been hearing how consoles were going to kill PCs for a decade now. I'm still waiting.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Will Civ 4 come out on the Xbox 360 or PS3? No? I'll stick with the PC then, thanks.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Re: Re: The reason why I don't switch to a Mac.

1.) No WinAmp for Mac?
            MacAmp?
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
              Will Civ 4 come out on the Xbox 360 or PS3? No? I'll stick with the PC then, thanks.
              This is true, it will probably not be this generation when RPGs/RTS/TBS are fully integrated into the console world, although the steps are being made.

Comment

PC vs Console is so 1998. Nowadays most people have both don't they?
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Re: Re: The reason why I don't switch to a Mac.

1.) No WinAmp for Mac?

2.) How many options do you need for video playback?
                  1. I can't find anything like WinAmp for the Mac, and it looks like MacAmp hasn't been in active development for years.

2. I just want something simple-yet-feature filled like bsplayer.
                  B♭3

Comment

3. I still can't get the damn Home and End keys to work normal.
                    B♭3

Comment

1. Because I have two PCs and see no reason for a third computer....
                      Blah

Comment

ZOMFG!

I'm looking for solutions and answers, ppl!

kk thx bye!

add 4. Tab-space in the quick reply box does NOT submit reply, but does some wierd **** that send me to the top of the page.
                        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                          PC vs Console is so 1998. Nowadays most people have both don't they?
                          Yes, but I don't expect my computer to play anything like Doom3 or other graphics-intensive games that my Xbox can.

Comment

Q Cubed, I think you have to download a 3rd party software to change the way the keys work. Not sure what its called. My uncle was/is a Mac-Fan, of course, during his era, the Mac was in, but just a few years ago he finally admitted that the Mac is falling short of Windows and the PC.

PC vs Console: So I was playing GTA:SA on my PC lastnight. I just did the jetpack mission (where you have to get the green goo on the train). Now, when I did this on the PS2, there was some trickery to it, but thats the way it was meant to be. But when I played that mission on the PC, it was so freaking easy. The mouse and keyboard cannot be beaten by a controller (maybe in the future?).

I'd love to see a video of someone playing a game of GTA:SA with a controller vs'ing a guy playing with a mouse and keyboard.

Consoles are just small entertainment machines, a lot like a TV, they entertain you, but you can't do much else with it.

When GTA:SA came out on PS2, people played it and that was it, you couldn't do anything else with it.

When GTA:SA came out on the PC, a few weeks after release, a team started turning it into a multiplayer game.

With a PC, I can play a game and work on something and play music and watch a movie all at the same time if I wanted to.

So am I going to waste my money on a box that can't do half the stuff a PC can? The PC wiped out the TV, I don't watch TV anymore, its boring and useless; and now people are trying to convince me that consoles are the next big thing?

If PC's never existed, and PS2 and Xbox came out after the Amiga 500. and a company came out and said "We have built this computer that can play all your games, and play movies, music, surf the internet, type up documents, modify your games, change the hardware to your delight, etc etc. Then I'd be thinking: Screw the console!
                            be free

Comment

Consoles are the way of the future as far as gaming is concerned.

wake me when there's a decent game on a console (that's not also on a PC)

While there are many decent games on a PC that are not on a console.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

wake me when there's a decent game on a console (that's not also on a PC)

While there are many decent games on a PC that are not on a console.
                                That's like saying "wake me when there's a decent movie on DVD thats not also on a VHS."

A 299$ console will provide you the level of gaming as far as graphics, multiplayer, features go that can only be attained by a 1000$+ PC.

Comment

Working...
                                X