Extreme voluontary pain - need support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme voluontary pain - need support

I guess that many of the yuongsters here will not be able to understand the following, though children - one day it will be your turn

To all the rest, tell about your horror stories; tell me that I'm not alone.

Ok, here it goes. For approx two years ago I was so unlucky to get a hole inbetween two teeth that was not discovered in time. The result ws two teeth that needed a root channel treatment (please enligthent me if I use a wrong term). One of them was no problem. I endured the pain of the needle when I the tooth got sedated, and there were no pain when he drilled the tooth down; cleaned the channels and inserted the support rods. Fine, that was acceptable, so a few days later it was tooth no 2. Dammit, I hate those needles - still, acceptable, but then the drilling started. For a moment all went fine except that I just hate that rumbling that resonates in the cranium, but then the drill hit the nerve. For the next two hours it was sedative directly on the drilling surface, rest a little until it had impact, drill until he hit unsedated nerve etc.

I'm not scared of dentists or what they can do (except those damn neddles) but I was totally exhausted after that session - and unless I'm wrong, the dentist also needed a rest.

Why writing all this ? Well, this evening the outer part of that particular tooth broke of !!! There are no pains currently, but I haven't been in the chair yet
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

I can understand that ... not a fan of needles myself, and undoubtedly going to need a root canal some day in the not too distant future... Wish i'd listened to my mother
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I always brush my teeth every evening, and it needs to be brushed thoroughly and rather long! I often see ppl just sticking their toothbrush in their mouth, play with it a bit and then removing it again. That's the ideal way to get cavities
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Don't be so scared Snoopy369, who says that your roots will still be alive when the dentist starts drilling ? With a little luck they are dead and you wont feel anything. If they are not - well, prepare yourself. And no, It doesn't help just ignoring it - you just postpone the pain.

Hope I'm not too evil
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
          I always brush my teeth every evening, and it needs to be brushed thoroughly and rather long! I often see ppl just sticking their toothbrush in their mouth, play with it a bit and then removing it again. That's the ideal way to get cavities
          Yeah, I even do it in the morning and have done it for 40 years at least, though it's not a gurarntee.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

That's not pain. Pain is loving someone with your entire being, while they regard you with the fondnest most usually bestowed upon the neighbors cat.

Comment

Blackcat - get yourself a better dentist. I've had the exact same problem, except a filling had fallen out - I have cracked enamel from what they guess was a childhood very high fever, and my teeth crack so I have several fillings.

They had to scrape the decay off the top of the root, I had gotten to them just in time and they could save it.. I was lucky, I was poor and it was a dental school, and as you will see that made all the difference in the world. The student started scraping. I held my hand up, he stopped, and I told him that it really hurts - FYI all of my previous dental work had always hurt, so I thought that was normal, but the student had been very adamant.

So he sticks in a second needle. Scrape. Hand up. It REALLY hurts. He gets one of the instructors. Nice looking lady in her thirties I'd guess, couldn't see her lower face but she had these gorgeous grey eyes I could melt into forever. Until she injected me, and scrape. Hand up, it still REALLY hurts. Please understand at this point there is enough anasthetic that half my tongue is numb, and I am slurring pretty thoroughly.

OK, they get the lead instructor. Due to the high fever as a kid, and tetracycline, I have some odd shaped abnormalities with my teeth, plus the fracture problem. So he calls all the students over, and he shows them my mouth. He then shows them my jawline, I wear an XXL motorcycle helmet, and explains why the anasthetic was not working (my nerve sits deeper than normal due to the skull size - proportion bit). He then injected the nerve feeding the entire lower jaw, he called it a Goetz injection, procedure or something, that was 23 years ago - and I've got the name only close, not exact. Note that was injection number FOUR. It worked. I also had to go to work that afternoon, and I sounded like a drunk all night with my tongue half paralyzed.

Explain to him next time (or get a new dentist) that you've had trouble with numbing the tooth, and to please just numb the entire side of the jaw when he does it (inject the base of the nerve). I've had some fillings redone since then, and my current dentist has a fine touch with the needle so I haven't had that problem for a decade. I cannot imagine how bad having the entire root canal done that way would have felt. :shudder: Good luck. By the way, I've discovered water pics since then, and I have ALOT less problem with plaque. It's usally lack of flossing/water pics or some such that causes tooth decay and gum disease. Tooth brushing is nice, but it won't prevent it on it's own.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I am lactose intolerant. A really bad side effect of this is the fact that my teeth ar really soft. I get cavities really easily. I've had several root canals in my life. I've never had one seriously hurt.

Where you give antibiotics a couple weeks before,Balckcat?

They usually remove the nerve completely, so a second trip should not be a big deal.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

BlackCat,

Suck it up and be a man about it.

You big *****.

What the hell do you need teeth for anyway. A real man swallows his food whole.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

@shawnmmcc : he actually is a good dentist and he is very worried if I have pain. Oh, and I got three needles wich as you describe paralyze most of the left face (in my case) and a tounge that act sensible

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                      BlackCat,

Suck it up and be a man about it.

You big *****.

What the hell do you need teeth for anyway. A real man swallows his food whole.
                      Ted, you have just solved a great mystery for me - I now know why your postnings doesn't have "bite"

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Blackcat - tell him about the Goetz, or whatever it's called injection technique. Your nerve may just sit very deep in the jaw. I could not BELIEVE that you could have dental work without pain, it was simply wonderful.
                        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Ic don't mind the pain so much, actually prefer fixing small holes without sedatives - a numb cheek and tounge is more of a nuisance. I have a mental technique that removes the pain - it actually works fine in other situations such as headache (transl : hangovers .

The worst part are actually the vibrations from the drill - I just hate the slow one

Though, root channel isn't done without sedative - I'm not a mascochist

Steven Weinberg

Comment

root canals rule. They're not too expensive here, too. I got one for 100$, 4 sessions. My new tooth is better than the real one.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Her you get one for approx 300 $ in two sessions (well, depends) - I could get it cheaper in sweden, but since everyone know how swedes work I don't dare

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X