Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    That was my point.
    subtelty is wasted on fools, young Padawan.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I heard from other sources that Uzbekistan accused of supporting anti-government riots inside the country.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

can you name one other great power with overseas strategic interests?
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

If they ask you to leave, you have to leave, otherwise it could be seen as an act of war (to have troops on foreign soil against the wishes of the government is iirc). No point arguing on the how and why, if they say leave, you leave.

Comment

Since when did this administration care about international law or invading foriegn countries
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

can you name one other great power with overseas strategic interests, that walks away from a militarily useful base over humans rights concerns?

Not the United States, by any means, if the dispossessed Chagas Islanders are anything to judge by:

What started the dispute?

The forced removal by the British Government of around 2,000 islanders from the Chagos group of islands, in the Indian Ocean, between 1967 and 1973.

They were moved so the United States could build a military airbase on the island of Diego Garcia, the biggest of the archipelago.

The islanders, who with descendants now number up to 5,000, live in Mauritius but are desperate to return to their homeland.

The community lives in slum conditions, suffers high unemployment and complains of racist treatment by the indigenous population.
              BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

And yes, evidently the British are to blame too.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                I heard from other sources that Uzbekistan accused of supporting anti-government riots inside the country.
                Good job on actually reading the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                  [Ned]
                  Sooner or later, most of the worlds problems can be traced to the Brits.
                  [/Ned]
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by lightblue
                    If they ask you to leave, you have to leave, otherwise it could be seen as an act of war
                    No problem:
                    "Dear Americans. It is with deepest regret I have to inform you that we are in a state of war with the evil terrorist regime of Uzbekistan..."
                    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

[Ned]
                      Sooner or later, most of the worlds problems can be traced to the Brits.
                      [/Ned]

That's a remarkable example of Ned's talent for litotes.

Clearly the word 'all' had not yet entered his lexicon.

Hard times in Diego Garcia:
                      Attached Files
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Not the United States, by any means, if the dispossessed Chagas Islanders are anything to judge by:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Molly, theres a difference between "walks away from a military base over human rights concerns" and "walks away from military bases WHENEVER theres a humine rights concern"

I did not say the US always lets human rights trump military factors. Generally we dont. In Uzbekistan, though, it appears we did. And I asked for instances where anyone else did.

I limited it to countries with overseas strategic interests, cause i wanted to eliminate wiseass comments from small quasipacifist countries that rely on others for their defense. Rather I wanted instances from countries like UK, France, China, Russia.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Pakistan is a real stumbling block. Mushariff is a strong man, in a quasi-democratic state by tolerance, i.e. like Algeria if the military don't like the results, the elections will not count.

But the alternative are Wahabi madrass educated Pashtuns, i.e. The Taliban (for the example from next door). The Pakistanis let the Moslem fundies in as a counter to India's policy in Kashmir (which is also wrong IMHO). The fundies created fanatics useful for deniable ops in Kashmir. The problem is it also created more domestic Moslem fanatics.

So now we have a nuclear state that could, if pressured for full democratic reform, become a Muslim religious theocracy with nukes. Happy, happy, joy, joy. There are no good answers with regards to Pakistan, only choosing from a very poor set of choices at this point. I fear any policy decisions made there will be B.A.D. at best, i.e. Best Available Data.
                          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

shawnmmcc,

Could this worry about Pakistan be why the US is not only ignoring but actually aiding India's nuclear proliferation?
                            19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Working...
                            X