NFL Preseason Thread - Training Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL Preseason Thread - Training Camp

The preseason is officially ON! Pretty soon we'll be seeing exhibition games!

Well, the Eagles training camp got off to a lousy start. Starting Left DE Jerome McDougle was shot and badly wounded yesterday by 3 youths in a carjacking in Miami.

And of course, there's that whole TO contract thing which doesnt look like it will get resolved soon.. He'll be in camp but "won't be happy"..

What are the major position battles to be fought in your team's training camp?

QB: Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia.

Joey will start, but this will be his last chance. Three top-10 WRs and one of the best (or perhaps the best) young RBs in the league? The offense must perform.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Re: NFL Preseason Thread - Training Camp

Originally posted by bfg9000
      The preseason is officially ON! Pretty soon we'll be seeing exhibition games!
      Yeah, and did you notice that the first game (the Hall of Fame Game) is between the two teams that Wanstadt destroyed (Chicago and Miami)!

Originally posted by bfg9000
      What are the major position battles to be fought in your team's training camp?
      Just about every position is wide open on the 'Phins this year.
      What I do like is Saban's approach to the whole Ricky Williams fiasco: taking charge, pushing it to the side, talking about the team. Hopefully this will fade away as The Story in Miami......

D

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
        QB: Joey Harrington and Jeff Garcia.

Joey will start, but this will be his last chance. Three top-10 WRs and one of the best (or perhaps the best) young RBs in the league? The offense must perform.
        Wanna take bets on how many games Rogers makes it into the season before he is out on another injury?
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

QB JP Losman taking over the offense of the Bills is a major question mark. They got two veterans to back him up (Kelly Holcomb and Shayne matthews) but that's just what they are: backups.
          The tight-end situation is also worrying with both TE getting knee injuries in the same game last year and then their 3rd round pick also gets a knee injury earlier this spring.
          Defense should be really good again, though.
          What?

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Wanna take bets on how many games Rogers makes it into the season before he is out on another injury?
            Whatever the line is, I'll take the under.

Comment

Re: Re: NFL Preseason Thread - Training Camp

Originally posted by Darsnan

Just about every position is wide open on the 'Phins this year.
              What I do like is Saban's approach to the whole Ricky Williams fiasco: taking charge, pushing it to the side, talking about the team. Hopefully this will fade away as The Story in Miami......

D
              Saban should do well in Miami. I'm a bit biased but I think the best bet for the Phins is to try and deal Ricky ASAP. Ronnie Brown should be more than capable of carrying the load, plus is not much of a risk at all to bring the kind of baggage to the table that Ricky does. Standard disclaimer applies about predicting how a rookie transitions into the league, but I'm fairly confident Ronnie will be fine.

Btw, the video of Saban making Manuel Wright cry is priceless.
              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Re: Re: Re: NFL Preseason Thread - Training Camp

Originally posted by Solomwi

Saban should do well in Miami. I'm a bit biased but I think the best bet for the Phins is to try and deal Ricky ASAP. Ronnie Brown should be more than capable of carrying the load, plus is not much of a risk at all to bring the kind of baggage to the table that Ricky does. Standard disclaimer applies about predicting how a rookie transitions into the league, but I'm fairly confident Ronnie will be fine.

Btw, the video of Saban making Manuel Wright cry is priceless.
                link? I'd like to see it.

Nevermind, I found it.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Javon Walker has decided to report to Packers camp and NOT hold out. This has got to make the Pack happy, especially since they told him unequivocally that they are not giving him a new deal.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Whatever the line is, I'll take the under.
                    poor Lions...

I'll still be hoping for success, just like the start of every season. At least they are doing better every season. So we'll have to at least get 7 wins this year.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I was puzzled by this year's draft pick, but it started to make sense to me when I made the large mental leap and imagined a healthy Charles Rogers, and all three of 'em on the field at once.

Not only will there be all those weapons on the outside, there is no way on god's green earth that defenses will put even 7 in the box, giving Jones lots of room to run.

If they manage to sign Ty Law, and avoid more than one major injury, I honestly think the Lions will go to the playoffs.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: NFL Preseason Thread - Training Camp

Originally posted by Solomwi
                        I think the best bet for the Phins is to try and deal Ricky ASAP. Ronnie Brown should be more than capable of carrying the load, plus is not much of a risk at all to bring the kind of baggage to the table that Ricky does.
                        I'm of the opposite opinion. I think Saban's approach with Ricky is indicating that Saban is gonna stick with him this season, and if there is any serious interest from other teams in Brown (like a 1st paired with a 5th or 2 sixth round drafts) why Brown is gone. It makes sense from the perspective that the 'Phins can get much more for Brown than Ricky, that our salary cap can use the relief, and that Saban is looking to the future, not this season (if the 'Phins go 7-9 this season, then considering what a disaster last season was, why most of South Florida will be happy).

D

Comment

The Rams

The loss of Kyle Turley at Right OT hurt us bad last year. We drafted Alex Barron for that possition and picked up a few other offensive linemen. Also Big O is in training camp this year. Bulger should have time this year, and hopefully will not get injured because of too many sacks and hits.

Steven Jackson is our starting RB this year. He averaged 5.0 yards a carry last year and broke a 49ers arm who tried to arm tackle him. He's going to be great. We were very lucky to get him in the first round last year. Faulk will play in special situations.

We also got Roland Williams back at TE, and the third recievers should be even better this year. This is Kevin Curtis' third year. We will dominate on offense unless there is a key injury and even then we should still do very well because of depth, that is unless the injury is Bulger, Holt or Big O.

We brought a lot of people in on defense. We got two new LBs. One is a big banger for the middle, and the other guy is a speedy play maker on the outside. All I can say is that hopefully this is the year that our LBs finally start to produce. We have been concentrating on that area, but our efforts have produced little fruit. The secondary was in bad shape last year because both of our excellent safeties were injured. One retired and the other is now healthy. We picked up a bunch of potential safeties and one of our WRs is attempting a position change to safety. We've had changes before on D. I can only hope for the best.

Martz has paid a lot of attention to special teams this off season. We got a new coach and we drafted a bunch of players that did well on special teams in college. I can only hope for the best there too.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I was puzzled by this year's draft pick, but it started to make sense to me when I made the large mental leap and imagined a healthy Charles Rogers, and all three of 'em on the field at once.

Not only will there be all those weapons on the outside, there is no way on god's green earth that defenses will put even 7 in the box, giving Jones lots of room to run.

If they manage to sign Ty Law, and avoid more than one major injury, I honestly think the Lions will go to the playoffs.
                            Playoffs

How's the team look on defense?

Comment

It was my understanding, and I'm quoting this from a recent article, was that Mariucci was sticking with the two-receiver set, with Roy williams and Rogers as the starters. Mike Williams is still a holdout, and may not even see a lot of action the first part of the season. Apparently, Rogers put on about 20+ pounds in the offseason, and should be better prepared to withstand the rigors of a full season.

Not with Joey at QB... Mariucci never really seemed that enthused with him from the get-go, and their season opener this year is at home against GB, a HUGE game. I'm giving Joey about two games...
                              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X