I'm learning Korean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean kicks a**.

Is it easier to learn Korean than Japanese? My Japanese is so rusty that when I speak I sound like a 4 year old boy.
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

they say if you learn Korean, Japanese is easy

we thought we were doing fine until we watched some Korean TV soap episodes

some of it is a real tongue twister and it doesn't have the Japenese consonant-vowel-consonant structure.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Japanese is tough enough, especially for westerners. The intonation is the polar opposite of English and everything needs to be annunciated better.

I can't believe that I'm doing this for a woman Japanese is the hardest damn thing I've ever tried to learn.
        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Sounds like it would be relatively easy to self-teach yourself. But I'm not saying it's easy...it's probably not.

If Korean has the same sentence structure as Japanese, then I'm probably screwed.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
            Japanese is tough enough, especially for westerners. The intonation is the polar opposite of English and everything needs to be annunciated better.

I can't believe that I'm doing this for a woman Japanese is the hardest damn thing I've ever tried to learn.
            Yes, Japanese is extremely hard. It gets better when you learn that people from Osaka are a lot different than people from Tokyo in their speech patterns.

And don't you love how they have different counting systems for flat, round, cyclindrical, and everything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch

Obviously there are benefits for you
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Well, there are benefits for you too, like not having to go to east Crapistan

If I finish this next round of foreign service interviews, I doubt I'd be posted to someplace as cush

Comment

you are joining the state department?

Comment

I did the foreign service exam and passed round one. That was the easy part. The second round comes in February. Even if I do make the second cut, I don't know if I'll do it.

Comment

you should do it if you get offered but if you aren't committed its likely you won't make the cut anyway

Comment

Well, I have until February until the second round starts, so there's plenty of time to reflect. If worse comes to worse, maybe I could be stateside support.

Comment

I don't like your chances in your current frame of mind - the selection process is designed to weed out people who aren't serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                            AH: try to buy an illegal name chop. It is technically illegal for waygookeem to own the 'real' legal korean name chop.
                            I had a chop with my real name on it and I registered it at the town hall. I then used it at banks and for other documents.
                            Formerly known as Masuro.
                            The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

I speak American, the chosen language blessed by god himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X