I'm learning Korean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm learning Korean

Left my last position on 15 July and since I've been on Korean language training and pre posting briefings. Its a lot of fun. We were started on reading and writing on day one and the teacher is pushing it along. Says we're doing well - Mrs Horse is doing it too. We've learned the alphabet and can read and write at about first grade level.

Its a very logical language. Much easier than Japanese or Chinese, which have pictograms. My teacher tells me if you master Korean, Japanese is easy so that is something to aim for.

The theory is you learn the grammar and to read and write and then pick up the vocab in country. I think its a good plan. I can get a tutor while I'm there.
    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; July 27, 2005, 09:44.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

I can hardly speak english, my native tongue. I once tried to learn german, but those VW adds screwed me up... Funkengroven man
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Here's a funny exercise:

Try translating "I brought my wife a new dress and gave it to her at home later that night" into hangeul. (yes I know it's hard)

Then translate it back literally and see how mangled the grammar looks.

Also: it is said that wealthy Seoulite couples will sometimes argue in English when they fight due to the occasionally frustratingly vague nature of Korea grammar.
      "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
      "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Good luck Horse!

I found Korean easy to read, but struggled a lot with understanding it when spoken, and my own accent was terrible. I never really studied it properly though - just picked things up as I went along.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Its a very logical language. Much easier than Japanese or Chinese, which have pictograms. My teacher tells me if you master Korean, Japanese is easy so that is something to aim for.

/me throws a flag
          Japanese uses Kanji, which are pictograms, yes, but they also use the syllabary extensively as well. Korean also uses pictograms (called Hanja), just not as extensively--so it's easier to get by without knowing them.

Japanese grammar is somewhat similar to Korean grammar, which is why it's easier to pick up once you've got Korean down pat (and vice versa).

And I have no problem with frustratingly vague grammar. I seriously wish English and other languages were more like that.
          B♭3

Comment

" Korean uses Hanja..."

yeah that's what they say........how many hanja do YOU know besides your own name?

AH: try to buy an illegal name chop. It is technically illegal for waygookeem to own the 'real' legal korean name chop.

A 'Chop', is of course the stamp which usually has your name in traditional chinese characters (or kanji, or hanja, or whatever chinese-lite version)
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Actually, here's my shameful confession:

I know, like, 3 Hanja characters, more if you include what's used in Changgi. As far as my name... I know only my surname, Kim.
              B♭3

Comment

A question for resident Koreans:

Does Korean have a "Romanji-style" system that allows honkeys like me to cheat and learn some vocabulary?
                If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

It's been my experience when people transliterate it, they tend to use the romanization systems often used for names.

But afaik, there's no concrete system like romanji.
                  B♭3

Comment

Yeah they use some pictograms, like in restaurant signs, but you don't need to know them at the stage we are at, which is learning the alphabet, basic rules of grammar and numbers. the last couple of days we have been doing numbers, money and telling the time.
                    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; July 27, 2005, 23:12.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

so you aren't going to be making any more visits to DC for work?

anyways, good luck in your new duties

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

thanks jon

finished language training last Friday - one week of briefings - pack up week after - and arrive Seoul Friday week

Comment

I can speak Korean.

"no zerg rush I KOReA kekekekekeekeke"
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Congrats AH

From years of Tae Kwon Do training, I spoke some Korean, couldnt write it but sounded it out

Haesan(bow)

Dwiradolla dobuk dan jon (turn around fix uniform)

Skijak (begin)

Jungkwon (inverted knife hand??)

Hyung (Pattern)

But I have utmost respect for ethics of Korean Tae Kwon Do

Enjoy your trip and enjoy the culture!

Grandpa Troll
                            Attached Files
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

the boys will probably do Tae Kwon Do - although I'm a little worried they will use it on each other

Comment

Working...
                              X