No announcement yet.

Welcome to 1995: China successfully clones a 1995 CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That ad earlier in the thread said the radio took a 22.5v battery?
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      In all likelihood, it went over your head like a fleet of UFOs.
      The opposite is what happened, which is why you completely missed the point and posted something irrelevant.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Communism is a myth.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

So lets get this straight- a country that still has well over 30% of the population as farmers, that 16 years ago was faily poor and very backwards, is now only 10 years behind countries that were 16 years ago already stinking rich?

And this is supposed to have us laugh at the Chinese?

Its like when they put a man in space- people saying :"welcome to the 60's". Yet only 3 states have put a man into space with their own technology- the US, the ex-USSR, and China. So again, China does something only the superpowers did, and we laugh?

That's very, VERY strange.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The 60's were the height of space exploration, we really haven't made any progress since. An editorial in a local paper had a line that went something like this: "If we can put a man on the moon, we ought to be able to - wait, we can't put a man on the moon anymore."
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Just out of curiosity - what generation of CPU's are NASA using in their equipment or for that sake any other space organization ?
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                So lets get this straight- a country that still has well over 30% of the population as farmers, that 16 years ago was faily poor and very backwards, is now only 10 years behind countries that were 16 years ago already stinking rich?

And this is supposed to have us laugh at the Chinese?

Its like when they put a man in space- people saying :"welcome to the 60's". Yet only 3 states have put a man into space with their own technology- the US, the ex-USSR, and China. So again, China does something only the superpowers did, and we laugh?

That's very, VERY strange.
                Why is it strange, Taiwan has had no problem keeping up with chips. Russia, too.

The point is they're not "10 years behind countries", it takes them 10 years to clone a chip it's pretty laugh-worthy.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The fact that they are making an unlicensed copy of a 10 year old design is a pretty big indictment of China's industrial espionage capabilities. You figure they would be able to steal something a bit more recent.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Yes, apparently it is far easier stealing warhead designs from LLL than chip designs from IBM...
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                      Yes, apparently it is far easier stealing warhead designs from LLL than chip designs from IBM...
                      LLL? Or LLNL?

I'm the compiler focal point for LLNL and IBM cooperation.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Why is it strange, Taiwan has had no problem keeping up with chips. Russia, too.

The point is they're not "10 years behind countries", it takes them 10 years to clone a chip it's pretty laugh-worthy.
                        Russia was never as far behind as China, and Taiwan is much richer.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

However, Taiwan and China started at the same point before WW2. Could it be that capitalism is superior to communism? Nah, that couldn't be it.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                          X