No announcement yet.

Shanty town demolitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pol Pot emptied the shanty towns of Cambodia and sent the people out to farm with no resources, 25% of Cambodians starved to death because the rest of the world stood back and done nothing. History is repeating itself in Zimbabwe, both with starvation of those forced out of their homes to nothing with nothing, and the world standing by again doing nothing. Now is the time for action to stop these crimes against humanity and save the masses of Zimbabwe from death

Comment

Some people think the market, no matter how ****ed up, is more important than people.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh
        DanS: You're losing sight of who's doing shantytown demolition in this case. It's Mugabe and the way he's doing it is going after ONLY shantytowns in areas where the opposition did well in the election. He hopes to drive the urban poor (two tend to be relatively anti-government) into rural areas where his political machine is powerful enough to keep them in line. It's 100% politics and it sure as hell won't help any of the people who're getting their hiomes destroyed and I'm surprised that you don't realize that.
        I don't think I've lost sight of anything. I thought I made the Mugabe = Pol Pot argument rather clear in the OP. You think that I am approving of what Pol Pot did?
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Shantytowns are the result of a market economy, just like famine, homelessness, and mass death by easily curable disease.
          That dog won't hunt!
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

That dog won't hunt!
            I have to agree with DanS.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

That dog won't hunt!
              Only cuz it doesn't need to cuz it's surrounded with dead ducks and phaesants.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                I have to agree with DanS.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                X