No announcement yet.

Should polygamy be illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought polygamy was spending your entire marriage posting here.

With that lazy joke out of the way, I always thought it was illegal.

Comment

It is illegal. Utah had to outlaw it for them to reach statehood in the 19th century.

Comment

Polygamy is a practice that can be a cover for paedophilia. But so is being a Roman Catholic Priest.

Yet one is legal, and the other is not.

Yes I know I'm stretching with that comparison, but you see my point.

Comment

It's not illegal in NY. What is illegal is actually getting married to more than one person, but if you can beat the five year statute of limitations, you will legally be married to more than one person.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I just read up on it, and that probably is true.

It was only after Utah was forced to put it into their state constitution, that the federal goverment forced other western states to put it into their constitution to become states.

But my state becamse a state before Utah, so I don't think it's in ours.

(from wikipedia)During the 1870s and 1880s a number of laws were set to punish polygamists, and in the 1890 Manifesto the LDS Church finally agreed to ban polygamy. When Utah applied for statehood again, it was accepted. One of the conditions to granting Utah's statehood was that a ban on polygamy be written into the Utah Constitution. This was a condition required of other western states that were also admitted later into the Union. Statehood of Utah was officially granted on January 4, 1896.

Comment

Where's the "I wish I were a polygamist" option?

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                No. It should be illegal. It will leave too many men without wives and lead to a corresponding increase in violence.

That's why it tends to be illegal.
                This and many of its other associated problems can be solved if an equal number of women are married to multiple men.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

group societies, which have occured numerous times in history, all turned out unsuccesful

people just started pairing up at some point

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Legal for hippy polyamorists.

Illegal for crazy religionists.

Hippies don't really want that many pieces of paper, and there far too many religionists about, so let's keep it illegal for now.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      group societies, which have occured numerous times in history, all turned out unsuccesful

I don't think duration was the point, so lack of it is not a measure of success or failure.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

JM
                        I think that most modern folks wouldn't put up with feeling like they are the 3rd or 4th wife.

Hubbie may feel great after a week long sexathon with his new 20 year old wife but he could be rapidly seeing his other wives disappear.
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                          Well, I guess that there are also some elderly billioneuses that wouldn't mind marrying three or four hot studs to sweeten their lifes

Polygamy doesn't nessecarily mean one male and several females.
                          Yes it does.

You're talking about "polyandry"...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I can support polygamy but polyandry is just plain wrong.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Yes it does.

You're talking about "polyandry"...
                              Sorry, wasn't aware of they had different names - anyway, feminists would demand that both should be legal.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Given the way society is, Polyandry would be more realistic. Love triangles and all. meh.
                                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X