U Sank My Carrier!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dis

yeah but we need to go to the persian gulf for our wonderful port calls of Bahrain and United Arab Emrites. .

hey, at least Bahrain had alcohol in the hotels.
    So did the U.A.E.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

we weren't allowed off the pier in UAE. Unless it was a guided tour. We couldn't roam the town by ourselves.

So they setup a staging area on the pier. And brought in lots of alcohol. They also had some food shops set up. Although I had to drink crappy beers like budweiser.

so instead of playing cards on the ship (like we normally did for fun out at sea), we played cards on tables set up next to the pier. But at least we had beer.

yes, you can count that as one of our worst ports of call.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar

Yer out of your mind. ON it's best day our CIWS couldn't swat a Learjet-dragged target out of the sky, much less a missile.
        You have lousy techs then. We always hit the drone. The big problem with CIWS is the fact that it will run empty in 20 seconds at full auto.

ACK!

Comment

HOw long does it take to reload?
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

If the crew is good about 7 minutes. In a battle being shot at probably longer.

Of course, I haven't loaded the weapon in 11 years, so they may have found an easier and quicker way to do it.

But, I doubt it.

ACK!

Comment

Damn, that blows

Do ships normally have multiple CIWS?

So that, if one is being reloaded, there is a secondary available to fire?
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                Damn, that blows

ours did, but on opposite sides of the ship.

I think we had one port, one starboard, and one on the fantail.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                  Damn, that blows

Yes they have more than one if larger than a frigate.

However, they won't fire in the same direction, they have zone of the ship they defend.

So if you are being attacked from one direction you can turn the ship to have coverage.

If attacked from multiple directions, you will not have full coverage.

You have to understand also that the rounds come out of ammo cans on 100 round belts. You need all available techs to load a mount.

You need, at minimum 3 techs to load the weapon. We had 5 for 2 mounts. 1 of which is in CIC at GQ and unable to help load. We had two techs at each mount, so if one was emptied one of the techs would have to race to the other mount to help load.

ACK!

Comment

This thread gives me an urge to play some Harpoon...
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dis

ours did, but on opposite sides of the ship.

I think we had one port, one starboard, and one on the fantail.
                      Sounds right. Each mount would probably be it's own workcenter in your case.

Battleships, IIRC, had 2 port and 2 starboard.

ACK!

Comment

• since our expert is here, I have a question.

I could have swore we had 3 phalanx CIWS guns. It is possible they recenlty changed it. Or this website is wrong. I looked it up to see if my memory was accurate.

It mentions something called. RAM launchers. I'm not familiar with them. What are they and what do they look like?

It lists 2 sea sparrow launchers (which is correct- we had one port, one starboard), 2 CIWS (but I could have swore we had one on the fantail), and 2 RAM launchers. Perhaps they took a CIWS out and put in a RAM launcher. I'm not sure. I was just an engineering grog . And I never did qualify surface warfare...

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclop...SS-Enterprise-(CVN_65)

Comment

• oh here's the RAM launcher. I don't remember seeing these. Perhaps they are new, or I never noticed.

ahh, I found it. sort of. If the first ship only got it in 1992, it was unlikely my carrier had one. Though we were in the shipyards in 1993, maybe they put them on then. I was on the ship until 97.

The RIM-116 was developed by General Dynamics under a July 1976 agreement with Denmark and West Germany. The first 30 were built under FY 85 and became operation on November 14 1992 aboard the USS Peleliu (LHA-5). The U.S. Navy hopes to purchase 1,600 RAMs and 115 launchers to equip 74 ships. The RIM-116 is currently used on 60 American and German warships. Greece and South Korea have also signed procurement contracts.

Comment

• since I love pictures, I'll post these as well for those readers not used to what these weapons look like

not the best picture, but it gets the job done. That is a sea sparrow launcher

Phalanx CIWS firing

Comment

• Isn't it time for some Lazor already?
                              Visit First Cultural Industries
                              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• Damn , DanS'ed by the question asker.

ACK!

Comment

Working...
                                X