No announcement yet.

Want Your Kid to Disappear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes--right now, it's running about .83 Euros.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
      I'm a little confused - don't you have a legal system in us ?
      Yes.

For people 18 and over.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'm a little confused - don't you have a legal system in us ?
        No, we have 51 legal systems in the US - 1 federal and one for each state. This kind of stuff probably falls under state law, and some states, especially conservative Christian ones (e.g., Utah) will accomodate it.

Just a guess: there are more of these places in Red States than in Blue States.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

51 legal systems and none of them can figure out how to protect children against this kind of abuse ?

Don't tell me that you mean this seriously.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I wish we didn't

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:54.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Yeah, smartass messages of course explains it all.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

51 legal systems and none of them can figure out how to protect children against this kind of abuse ?

Don't tell me that you mean this seriously.
                  No, 51 legal systems and some of them don't want to figure it out.

Utah's a great example. The state might as well be a theocracy, given the overwhelming influence of the Mormon church. Now, the Mormon's tend to be a rather patriarchal lot -- men rule women, parents rule children, etc. -- as well as believing that the government has no business interferring with family decisions.

Put that all together and what do you have? A system in which parents can do what they feel they need to to discipline their kids, and a system where the state has little to say about that.

(Of course, even Utah law seems to have something to say about it, but if most of the power structure agrees with the aims of programs like these, who's going to prosecute?)

The question that puzzles non-Americans, I suspect, is why the federal government doesn't overrule them. The reason is that, in our system, the Feds tend to leave these kinds of decisions to the states; teh same understanding of Federal-state relations that allow Massachusetts to permit gay marriage without Federal interference also allow this.

Ozzy is exactly right in suggesting that this is a civil rights issue; if kids had full civil rights, this couldn't happen. The minute you start suggesting that these kids should have some legal protection from this, conservatives -- and, remember, the run America now -- will start talking about how that would be the state interferring with parenting decisions. And, sadly, that kind of rhetoric goes a long way these days.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

To be fair, liberals aren't falling over themselves to defend youth rights either. (though they have been more supportive on the whole, depending on the issue of course).

As for the camps themselves, yes they are far more likely to be in red states than blue states.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                      tldr?
                      too long, didn't read

And these things are just sick.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                        To be fair, liberals aren't falling over themselves to defend youth rights either. (though they have been more supportive on the whole, depending on the issue of course).

As for the camps themselves, yes they are far more likely to be in red states than blue states.
                        And while liberals may not have youth rights on their radar, they do tend to be way more vigilant about child abuse -- often to the point of caricature, to be sure, but that still beats condoning it.

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:58.
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

And they pay this guy to abduct their daughters ...
                              Yea, when so many people would abduct their daughters for free. Suckers.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

What age is 10th grade?
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X