just. plain. STUPID.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
    The argument that Ebonic speakers can't communicate effectively is crap. Speakers of standard English can understand Ebonics speakers just fine, as well as the reverse.
    You're right. I can't understand one word of that Negro talk.

Afterall, its just broken English.
    Interesting juxtaposition of quotes there...

Yeah, they can communicate with other Ebonic-speakers just fine. It's when they speak to the other 99% of the English-speaking population that communication problems arise. Depending on how much exposure the Ebonic-speaker has had to normal English (like, for instance, IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS), their ability to communicate with non-Ebonic-speakers changes. If Indians on the other side of the planet can take crash-courses in how to speak (more often than not) passable British English then these kids can learn to effectively speak the USAmerican variant after years of public schooling.

The problem is that people don't respect speakers of Ebonics. Period.
    The problem is that the people pushing this want speakers of Ebonics to have that much more difficulty succeeding in life. Period.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Really?

Sounds to me like this is exactly what you're suggesting.
      How so? There's no outlawing of the speaking of "ebonics" in discourse.

Are you suggesting that not mandating teaching in ebonics equals suppressing it? I'll give you a few moments to realize what a stupid thought that is.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Guys - Ebonics IS ENGLISH. The argument that teaching ebonics will create some kind of widescale communication breakdown is garbage.
        Who argued that?

I can understand ebonics, mostly. But that's not the point. When I'm in a business setting, I expect standard English to be spoken, as does everybody else in the business world. A kid who can speak English clearly--no matter what his race--will instantly be favored for a job over someone who goes into an interview spewing "ebonics." And that's because everyone expects the discourse in the professional world to be standard English. English is the international business language as well. Ebonics certainly isn't.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I think Jimmy is just being an amazingly good troll.

Mostly because I don't want to think he's being serious .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Guys - Ebonics IS ENGLISH. The argument that teaching ebonics will create some kind of widescale communication breakdown is garbage.
            English is a language, Ebonics is just a dialect of English.

The arguement is that no good-paying employer will hire people who can only manage to speak in Ebonics, furthering their low economic standing. We don't want to encourage the maintanence of that kind of status quo.

You do realize that in the world there's over 6,000 languages and God-knows-how-many dialects spoken by more than several hundred people (500 I believe is the benchmark), right? Should the US begin preparing to teaching in ALL of its share in those numbers to?
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              I think Jimmy is just being an amazingly good troll.

Mostly because I don't want to think he's being serious .
              I really hope so, because otherwise, he's reached into the depths of unimaginable retardedness...
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                Who argued that?

I can understand ebonics, mostly. But that's not the point. When I'm in a business setting, I expect standard English to be spoken, as does everybody else in the business world. A kid who can speak English clearly--no matter what his race--will instantly be favored for a job over someone who goes into an interview spewing "ebonics." And that's because everyone expects the discourse in the professional world to be standard English. English is the international business language as well. Ebonics certainly isn't.
                You oppressor . Next you'll be arguing that people should wear suits in a business setting! Mr. Fashion Genocide! Fascist!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

When I'm in a business setting, I expect standard English to be spoken, as does everybody else in the business world. A kid who can speak English clearly--no matter what his race--will instantly be favored for a job over someone who goes into an interview spewing "ebonics."
                  So you're saying this is a good thing? You prove my point quite nicely.

Should the US begin preparing to teaching in ALL of its share in those numbers to?
                  Why not?

Comment

You know, this whole argument reminds me of that lesser known dialect of the poor, uneducated working class of the southern British Isles to come up around the 6th century. What was it called?

Oh yeah. English.

Come on, guys. You may have the English down, but the history is lacking.

Comment

So you're saying this is a good thing?

Why... yes. Am I going to expect you railing over the wearing of suits in the business setting next? After all, it is stifling creativity of American sub-cultures!

Fight the Powa!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        So you're saying this is a good thing?

Why... yes. Am I going to expect you railing over the wearing of suits in the business setting next? After all, it is stifling creativity of American sub-cultures!

Fight the Powa!
                        As long as its spoken clearly and politely, what should it matter.

Should we expect speakers of non-USA dialects to respectfully put on a Nebraska accent before business dealings in the US?

Comment

I'll leave you guys with two final words before retiring to my abode.

Lingustic Imperialism.

Night all!

Comment

As long as its spoken clearly and politely, what should it matter.

Should we expect speakers of non-USA dialects to respectfully put on a Nebraska accent before business dealings in the US?
                            Answer the question instead of dodging it. What about suits in the business workplace? That's stifling the clothing of the sub-cultures within the US.

Lingustic Imperialism.

You may be expecting the bleeding hearts to be like "Oh no", but I'm for it. We'll export American English across the globe and the mother****ers will like it!

Comment

You know, this whole argument reminds me of that lesser known dialect of the poor, uneducated working class of the southern British Isles to come up around the 6th century. What was it called?

Oh yeah. English.
                              Fine. Let Ebonics rise to prominence the way English did: through the practice of people, without being aided and abetted by the State. Wake me when ebonics becomes the language of the majority, 'kay?
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

So you're saying this is a good thing? You prove my point quite nicely.
                                Absolutely. Having a standardized language for communication is always a good thing.

What good is accomplished by allowing kids to grow up not being able to speak English properly? While it might assuage your cultural guilt, it actually destroys their lives and makes it impossible for them to find good employment. Why should your little social experiment be allowed to ruin people's futures?
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X