China threatens to nuke hundreds of cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GePap
    And thus leave the south to fall the Taliban. Yes, perfect.
    You think we'll care about the Taliban if we're at war with China?

Right....

Isn't the whole point that it's rather more difficult for us to face irregular armies than normal ones? That's why the insurgency in Iraq has been so much more difficult than the actual invasion.

Comment

China doesn;'t need to invade, It can simply come up with proxies, arm them, and make things miserable for any Afghan government. Hell, even now Karzai is trying to back away from the US. Imagine his troubles if a great power started fnding the opposition.

Sorry if you guys wish to ignore all reality, but no states in Central Asia will allow the US to carry out combat missions vs. China (an act of war on their parts) for something as utterly irrelevant to them as whether China gets Taiwan.

I guess we'll just have to stick with airbases in Taiwan, well within range of any targets in China

Comment

• China doesn;'t need to invade

Why the hell did you bring up the fact that Afghanistan borders China, then? Or wonder if America could stop a "real army" in Afghanistan? You don't need to share a border to support proxies. It's helpful in getting your "real army" into the country, however.

Sounds like someone is backpedaling...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Don't be mean, Drake

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I guess we'll just have to stick with airbases in Taiwan, well within range of any targets in China
            Except that they aren't, and that's the point.

Unless you believe for some wild reason that you gain air superiority with bombers.....

The afct the US had to go looking for bases in Uzbekistan to hit in Afghanistan even with its bases in the gulf should at least make you understand a bit about the problems involved. Or not, I guess.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              China doesn;'t need to invade

Why the hell did you bring up the fact that Afghanistan borders China, then? Or wonder if America could stop a "real army" in Afghanistan? You don't need to share a border to support proxies. It's helpful in getting your "real army" into the country, however.

Sounds like someone is backpedaling...
              Maybe because its easier to arm and support a proxy army if your goods don;t even have to cross through a third party?

But yes, the thread of Chinese invasion alone would be enough to ward off the notion of Afghanistan commiting an act of war vs China. The HImalayas did not protect India from China in 1962, and China certainly has forces capable of fighting in such terrain.

Comment

• Although the larger question is whether or not Japan (or Korea) will allow us to use our bases there, and whether or not China will consider U.S. bases in Korea and Japan constitute legitimate targets.
                If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

• But yes, the thread of Chinese invasion alone would be enough to ward off the notion of Afghanistan commiting an act of war vs China.

There is no threat. China would have to go all the way through the thin corridor jutting out of northeast Afghanistan, over some of the highest mountains in the world, while being attacked by the best air force in the world. It's impossible and not a plausible threat.

Then again, you probably think the route is "relatively flat"...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You think we'll care about the Taliban if we're at war with China?
                    I think the Afghans would care about the Taliban, and they are the ones with final say about how their territory is used, and 10,000 American trops there aren't enough to make Afghanistan do anything.

Isn't the whole point that it's rather more difficult for us to face irregular armies than normal ones? That's why the insurgency in Iraq has been so much more difficult than the actual invasion.
                    Depends on the issue. Irregular forces have a very dififuclt time threatening the very existance of the conventional forces arrayed against them-but another large conventional force can destroy those convetnional forces.

To compare the Iraqi army of 2003 to the Chinese army of 2003 is a rather strange position. To compare the fighting ability of 150,000 men vs the fighitng power of 10,000 men is also a bit much.

Comment

Except that they aren't, and that's the point.
                      The B-2 can hit targets from the Midwest.

The afct the US had to go looking for bases in Uzbekistan to hit in Afghanistan even with its bases in the gulf should at least make you understand a bit about the problems involved. Or not, I guess.
                      Yes, that F-16's and A-10's don't have ranges in the thousands of kilometers.

Comment

I think the Afghans would care about the Taliban, and they are the ones with final say about how their territory is used,

and 10,000 American trops there aren't enough to make Afghanistan do anything.

Comment

• [SIZE=1] Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                          There is no threat. China would have to go all the way through the thin corridor jutting out of northeast Afghanistan, over some of the highest mountains in the world, while being harrassed by the best air force in the world the whole way. It's impossible and not a plausible threat.

Finally, the PLA was well prepared for this type of war-
                          fare. The troops had warm, padded uniforms. They carried
                          only what rations they needed to complete a particular mis-
                          sion. And they trained and practiced mobility, moving through
                          mountain passes or over ridges at night, encircling the enemy.
                          Even their mortars and small artillery was mobile. The Indian
                          soldiers would report that the Chinese burp gun and human wave
                          assaults were "demoralizing."
                          Despite its defense budget problems, the People's Libera-
                          tion Army appeared to be prepared and ready for military opera-
                          tions in the Himalayas.

Back in 1962 the Chinese were capable of operations in the HImalayas.

The power of airforces against mountains is far less than against those in open plain, It is questionable planes would be even able to fnd targets. The worse the mountains, the less airpower can actually do. And I doubt the Afghans would be able to defend that strip against the Chinese.

Comment

To compare the Iraqi army of 2003 to the Chinese army of 2003 is a rather strange position. To compare the fighting ability of 150,000 men vs the fighitng power of 10,000 men is also a bit much.
                            Fighting along a tiny 100-mile strip of mountains?

EDIT: drake made the point already
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Kuciwalker; July 18, 2005, 23:24.

Comment

The B-2 can hit targets from the Midwest.
                              As long as they keep getting refuled from the air at regular intervals. And again, B-2 are expensive and rare.

Comment

Fighting along a tiny 100-mile strip of mountains?
                                Yesw, of course, the US will send its tropps there, leaving the Afghan government even MORE isolated at home.

And as for your laughing, to think the US cold impose its will on Afghanistan with 10,000 men if the government was against it is laughable.

The soviets could not do it with fare bigger forces with greater firepower.

10,000 US troops can do what they do in Afghanistan with the support of the government and its supporters.

Comment

Working...
                                X