Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

HBP is coming out on Midnight tomorrow and I can't wait!! I'm going to be at a Barnes and Noble at 12:01 AM to pick up my copy (well, me and a bunch of friends). Hopefully the line isn't too long... but I think we are getting free food, so it'll at least be a better experience on line than for other things.

Who will die? Who will hook up? And who the **** is the Half-Blood Prince?

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Harry Potter, pissing off crazy Catholics

July 14,2005 | BERLIN -- In a letter sent two years before becoming pope, Benedict XVI expressed concern that the Harry Potter books "erode Christianity in the soul" of young people, a German writer says.

The comments came in an exchange of letters between then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger and Gabriele Kuby, a Bavarian-based Roman Catholic sociologist who penned a book criticizing J.K. Rowling's blockbusters.

In a letter dated March 7, 2003, the text of which could be seen Thursday on Kuby's Web site, Ratzinger thanked her for sending him a copy of "your informative book."

"It is good that you are throwing light on Harry Potter, because these are subtle seductions that work imperceptibly, and because of that deeply, and erode Christianity in the soul before it can even grow properly," the letter added.

The Vatican had no comment, noting that the pontiff -- a Bavarian native -- and his secretary were away on vacation.

Kuby argues in her book, "Harry Potter -- Good or Evil," that the Potter novels blur the boundaries between good and evil and impair young readers' ability to distinguish between the two. She also asserts that they glorify the world of witches and magicians at the expense of the human world.

Christians in the United States have made similar criticisms.

Kuby said Thursday that she sent her book to Ratzinger -- then the Vatican's doctrinal watchdog -- after he commented favorably on an earlier book she wrote, "My Way to Mary."

In an e-mailed response to questions, she said she did not correspond with Ratzinger about Potter again after seeking his permission to cite his judgment later in 2003.

Ratzinger wrote on May 27 that year that "I gladly permit you to cite my opinion on Harry Potter," according to Kuby.

Rowling's sixth Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," is due out Saturday.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Its reidculous that courts have placed stays on people speaking about the book after they accidentally bought them early. Jesus, its not a state secret, its the plot of a book.

I will probably get it next week, after the huge crowds dissipate some.

no time to read tommorrow, have to prepare for the new Sci Fi friday lineup
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I preordered it. It was 40% off. Hope it will be better than the last two.

Btw, I just saw Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and all I have to say is wow! Very impressive! They're really pushing the limits of anime! And I just received Ghost in the Shell : stand alone complex vol. 3, The Prisoner (set 1) (yes, the TV series!) and Tarkovsky's Solaris from Zip.ca (the Canadian version of Netflix).
        Last edited by Nostromo; July 14, 2005, 23:26.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Harry Potter, pissing off crazy Catholics

Finally someone posts this.

Not sure which side to chose though, if he could really ban the damn books, I might actually be very tempted on becoming a devout catholic.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

lol Hormoney dies LOL
            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Re: "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Who will die? Who will hook up? And who the **** is the Half-Blood Prince?

Percy Weasley or Remus Lupin. Ron and Hermione, beginnings of Harry and Ginny. Character we don't know yet.

That's the conventional wisdom of HP fandom, anyway. Some people insist that Dumbledore and Hagrid are doomed, but they're wrong. At least, for now they are. Book seven, all bets are off.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                Hope it will be better than the last two.
                The last two were superb.

BTW, got it pre-ordered and will be in line at the Barnes & Noble for the midnight release.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

The last two were superb.

BTW, got it pre-ordered and will be in line at the Barnes & Noble for the midnight release.
                  I think they read like bad thrillers, like Ludlum novels. That said, even though they were bad IMO, but they were never boring
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Publisher should charge like triple price on first day of sale. I bet all of you superfans will still buy it.
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I got my copy last week. Poor Hermoinioinoione.
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Yeah, what happened to Hermione was really sad. I'll miss her...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Percy Weasley or Remus Lupin. Ron and Hermione, beginnings of Harry and Ginny. Character we don't know yet.

Damn, I wish they knocked off Percy. Would be nice. But I think it'll be Dumbledore. The old coot is... well... old!

24 hours away!

Comment

I've been listening to the CD audiobooks of Azkaban & Goblet. A fellow named Jim Dale reads all the HP audiobooks, and he's great. I'm going in for some minor surgery tomorrow, and I'm going to listen to the Order of the Phoenix audiobook while I recuperate, and the wife is buying me HBP on Sunday. Great stuff. I feel sorry for people who shun them because they're "kid's" books.

Comment

You know I've never listened to an audio-book. Probably would be smart... I'm notorious for failing to re-read books.

Comment

Working...
                              X