Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you prefer localized sofware over non-localized?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you prefer localized sofware over non-localized?

Obviously, this is a poll for those whose first language is not English

Do you prefer localized or English versions of software? For example, is your version of windows in English or your native language? How about your browser and e-mail client?

I prefer translated myself, but there are many people here who look down on that and have a "purist" approach. They're mostly among the more computer literate and will use localised versions of software only when they have to, and then with indignation (snide remarks and eyerolling about "funny" translations a plenty).
    I like my software translated, thank you very much.
    22.22%
    I like original (English) versions better.
    44.44%
    I'm an English speaker and demand to vote though I have no business in this poll.
    22.22%
    I like translations into Klingon best.
    0.00%
    Banana!
    11.11%

Re: Do you prefer localized sofware over non-localized?

Originally posted by VetLegion
    Obviously, this is a poll for those whose first language is not English

What about people who like the letter U?
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Example of such people?

Comment

Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I prefer original English versions... If only because that makes it easier to find help. That is, you don't have to worry about how differently the menus, dialogs, error messages etc. are named. That means it's easier to find pages relating to your problem, it's easier to explain things and easier for others to explain things... All because English is more prevalent than Dutch.

I have a Dutch version of Windows though, because that's what happened to come along with my PC when I bought it... IE and OE are in Dutch too, but I have English language menus installed too, exactly for the purpose of making it easier to find help, or give help to others. My browser/e-mail client of choice is Opera though, which I have in English... As with practically all software I have... If I can choose between Dutch and English versions, I'll take the English one.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

hot ... or not?

Comment

I prefer the Queen's English as opposed to, say, American.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

club thread

Comment

Working...
                X