Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

France soon ready to build first Death Star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France soon ready to build first Death Star?

Nah......probably not, but the ITER will be built there:

France gets nuclear fusion plant

France will get to host the project to build a 10bn-euro ($12bn) nuclear fusion reactor, in the face of strong competition from Japan.

The International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (Iter) will be the most expensive joint scientific project after the International Space Station.

The Iter programme was held up for over 18 months as parties tried to broker a deal between the two rivals.

Nuclear fusion taps energy from reactions like those that heat the Sun.

Nuclear fusion is seen as a cleaner approach to power production than nuclear fission and fossil fuels.

Officials from a six-party consortium signed the deal in Moscow on Tuesday, for the reactor's location in the Cadarache site in southern France.

Janez Potocnik, EU commissioner for science and research said that Iter "marks a major step forward in international science cooperation".

He added: "Now that we have reached consensus on the site for Iter, we will make all efforts to finalise the agreement on the project, so that construction can begin as soon as possible."

Rich reward

The European Union, the United States, Russia, Japan, South Korea and China are partners in the project.

Japan earlier withdrew its bid, after a deal was worked out for the "runner-up" to receive a generous concessions package.

According to the package, Japan will get 20% of the project's 200 research posts while providing only 10% of the expenses, and host a related materials research facility - of which half the construction costs will be shouldered by the EU.

"It is a big success for France, for Europe and for all the partners of Iter," said a statement issued by the office of French President Jacques Chirac.

In terms of the physics and huge amounts of energy involved, the Iter project would be akin to building a star on Earth.

It would be the first fusion device to produce thermal energy at the level of conventional electricity-producing power stations, and would pave the way for the first prototype commercial power station.

In a fusion reaction, energy is produced when light atoms - the hydrogen isotopes deuterium and tritium - are fused together to form heavier atoms.

To use controlled fusion reactions on Earth as an energy source, it is necessary to heat a gas to temperatures exceeding 100 million Celsius - many times hotter than the centre of the Sun.

The technical requirements to do this, which scientists have spent decades developing, are immense. But the rewards, if Iter can be made to work successfully, are extremely attractive.

One kilogram of fusion fuel would produce the same amount of energy as 10,000,000 kg of fossil fuel.
    Discuss
    Blah

OMFG TEH FWENCH ARE TEH EWILL!!1!!1@
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Seriously, if this works, OPEC can kiss their money goodbye. Which makes ITER a prime target for OPEC sponsored terrorism.
      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

what method are they using??

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

finally they can get underway with it...

but with this deal and knowing the japanese tendency wrt to transparency of scientific data, you can be sure that 50 % of the research can be kissed goodbey
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

How safe is it to build a star on planet. I mean we only have one. Let's pick another spot(planet) or at least build a very very small star.
            What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
            What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

we've already had hydrogen bomb detonations back in the fifties. so i'd say it's pretty safe.
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

What isn't pretty safe compared to a hydrogen bomb?
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

FINALLY! At last he politicians have stopped delaying the project, and now research can begin. It was about time.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Fusion power is the safest kind imaginable. In the old style "magnetic bottle" type reactions (Tokamak), you drop the magnetic bottle and the plasma is almost instantly too cool to do anything. The enriched pellet systems, using lasers, are already inherently safe, the actual fusion last for a fraction of a second. The byproduct of this is helium, which is also both stable and safe. The only problem could be, if cheap inexpensive fusion is developed, the resulting surge in energy use could make heat pollution into a major issue. Compared to fission byproducts or fossil fuel byproducts (Sulpher Dioxide, Nitrous Oxides, soot, etc) I'd rather having the heat pollution as the only problem.
                    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Surely the amount of heat we generate as a species is minute?
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        Surely the amount of heat we generate as a species is minute?
                        Tell that to my computer. I'm considering to convert it into a combined computer/coffee brewer.
                        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Compared to the radiation we absorb from the sun, that is...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

But I stay mostly indoors, away from the sun's radiation...
                            (You're right of course, we don't really generate that much heat)
                            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

It's about damn time the French bribed the Japanese. They bribe everyone else...
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X