A predicament regarding my final semester elective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dracon II
    At the moment I'm leaning towards doing Being, Consciousness and Existence. Hegel, Nietzsche and Heidegger sound interesting.
    Keep doing stuff like that if you want a very cool job in government - we tend to recruit people who do subjects like that rather than the drones who do careerist subjects like international relations II, who we slot for the slave jobs. At least we'd know that even if you're useless at work you're interesting to talk to.

Sex theory subjects are good in that respect.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The name suggests that it is about World History... but in fact it is dedicated to the thumping of Dead White Historians

Ugh... run away from that stuff . Didn't realize on your first description.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by joncha
        Prof. Striker
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I bet Prof. Striker gives courses in hittin' it

Seriously, I would like to know what those "highly innovative teaching methods" in the word history thing are.....so I'm afraid Dracon must take the course .....
          Blah

Comment

Well I might duck in on a few lectures if they don't clash with any of my enrolled subjects and if it's not at an ungodly hour (one reason why I didn't do it last year was because it was at 8:30am... Professor Wayne Hudson is not the kind of lecturer you want to have to learn from first thing in the morning. This guy has a crack gland in his brain).

Comment

Sex theory subjects are good in that respect.

Well in cultural studies I did an essay on transsexuals. Probably not useful for talking about around the water cooler in the Department of Whatever though...

Cultural studies was extremely disappointing. There's so much interesting theory to work from, yet we spent most of our time in tutorials leafing through fashion magazines and watching videos about schoolies week and female bodybuilders.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                How about:

HIS999: From Blow Jobs to Blown Occupations: The Rise and Fall of the American Empire

"From Barbarism to Decadence without Civilization in between" - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I've decided to do "Being, Consciousness and Existence". Interesting course, rich in intellectual content, and it will challenge me.

I'm planning on buying the readings and attending the lectures for the other subjects. The course dossiers are available only to people enrolled in the course, but I've been perpetrating a crime for the past year. Basically, I enroll in a course I have no intention of doing, buy the dossier and then cancel the course before the census date (beyond which I have to pay fees even if I cancel).

I did this for "drama, ethics and emotions" and "examining the self". Haven't read those dossiers yet, but I will someday

Comment

Working...
                  X