A predicament regarding my final semester elective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A predicament regarding my final semester elective

I'm enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts in Politics & Government. Whereas most other people in the course did a double major and chose two of the prescribed majors ("Asian Politics", "Politics and Public Policy", and "Politics, Economy & Society"), I only chose one (Politics, economy and society). This is because my interests were so wide that I wanted to use the second half of my studies to do subjects that truly interest me. Thus my second half has hitherto been divided between sociology, cultural studies, politics and international relations courses.
    For my final semester before my honours year I was planning on doing a Politics and Public Policy subject (Power and Policy Making, or Cases in Public Policy), but there are a number of other courses I am considering instead. I'll provide a list of the possible electives I am interested in, and hopefully you guys might be able to aid me in my decision.

Politics and Public Policy Subjects

2003PPP: Power and Policy Making

This course addresses a number of fundamental questions relating to the nature of public policy process by examining a range of relevant concepts and theories, and evaluating their validity through an analysis of a number of specific policy areas.

I have the course readings for this one (borrowed them from a colleague). It teaches a number of political concepts/theories surrounding the concepts of the State, Power and Policy Making, and in the final three weeks applies them to specific Australian political issues.

3001PPP: Cases in Public Policy

The course examines several cases in the public policy area from the perspectives of the disciplines of politics, law and economics. It examines how different disciplinary approaches to the analysis of problems in the public sector have an impact on the selection of solutions.

Sociology

2050AMC: Sociology and Future Societies

This course examines the emergence of the concept of postmodernism and the claims it makes about irretrievable and fundamental changes to society in the late 20th century. In particular, the course considers postmodernism's claim that sociology as a way of knowing society is now outmoded. The course examines the intellectual origins development of postmodernism, its claims that recent changes in society render previous sociological theory irrelevant and, finally, the questioning of these claims by current sociological theory and research. The course provides students with the opportunity to critically assess the claim that diversity and difference have created a radically new social environment in the new century.

Science

2420SCE: Sci,Tech and Modern Ind State

This course explores the ways in which science and technology shape the modern industrial state. There is a significant historical component, comprising mainly a study of the Industrial Revolution and its impact in the nineteenth century, but the principal focus is the industrial state in the late twentieth and early twenty-first century. Topics include the managerial revolution, the role of science and technology in modern society, the growth of transnational corporations, and the future of industrial society.

International Relations

2020IBA: Global Security

This course will introduce students to the significance of war and conflict in Asia and the wider the international community. It will take both an historical and contemporary perspective on conflict. Key theories of war will be examined as well as the evidence that conflict is declining in modern international affairs. Concepts of security will be explored including theories of realist, cooperative and human security. Assessment is based on an essay and a final examination.

History

2014AMC: World History

This is a course in world history which examines in a global context debates about the formation of the modern world. It will provide students with temporal and geographical maps by focusing on formative events in world history and will train them in different ways of conceptualising long term historical change.

Philosophy

2603AMC: Being,Consciousness,Existence

This course introduces students to the works and ideas of several major modern European philosophers who have helped shape contemporary thought and philosophical reflection since the late 18th century. It provides a foundation for the examination and exploration of more recent philosophical developments and debates represented within existentialism, feminist theory, phenomenology, past marxism, critical theory, post-structuralism, descontruction and anti-humanist philosophies. Methods of argumentation, major philosophical concepts and fundamental theoretical or philosophical perspectives developed by these thinkers are indispensable for understanding contemporary strands of thought, philosophical issues or socio-politico-cultural movements.

I checked out the Course outline for this subject from last year. Apparently it focuses on Hegel, Nietzsche and Heidegger.
    Last edited by Dracon II; June 27, 2005, 11:22.

Personally, I think 2420SCE: Sci, Tech and Modern Ind State sound the most interesting.

Comment

It depends on what you want to do with your degree. However, the first caveat. If you can, sit though a class taught by each professor who teaches any of these classes. A boring, narrow-minded ideologue can make this kind of course utterly boring, and you also may find that you will be penalized by some of the instructors if you have the gall to have your own independent thoughts that differ from his. A good instructor who enjoys a lively exchange of ideas, who doesn't care if you disagree, as long as you have good, solid reasons is a gem, and can make the most tedious course interesting (at least in these fields).

Second, look at the courses these are prerequisites for. Follow your technology tree to the desired result. If none of those are a factor, then:

2003PPP: Power and Policy Making - it depends on how your feel about being a minority in your own country (I've checked your flag) and about the dynamics of power that permitted the aboriginal people's to get shafted. Studying this, depending on how it's taught, will show you the essence what really matters.

3001PPP: Cases in Public Policy - sounds like the kind of course that will cover how to build a coalition, and how to find solutions. It’s the opposite take from the previous course. I don't know enough Australian politics to know which one is more likely to help out your future career, if you were currently in the USA, I would sadly suggest the first.

2050AMC: Sociology and Future Societies – I dislike postmodernism, and am biased against it. Let someone else recommend this course.

2420SCE: Sci,Tech and Modern Ind State – How can a Civ player go wrong. I would personally love something like this as a course to audit – I could get myself into way too much trouble arguing with the prof. It really depends on your career. Do you want to be a technocrat working in the government on critical regulatory matters, especially in technical areas? Then its’ a must.

2020IBA: Global Security – if you want to go into your equivalent of our State Department (Foreign Affairs) this is a must. However, the modern data will quickly go stale as the global situation changes. If the course teaches you how to go about getting the relevant data (for example, are the Black Muslims in Darfour Sufi while the Arabs are Suni, and realize idiot Westerners often mistake Sufi’s for Suni’s) and then how to analyze it – it’s a gem. If the instructor is teaching primarily the current situation, I would give it a pass.

2014AMC: World History – properly done it will give you a deeper understanding of why things are happening in certain parts of the world. For example, the foundations of the current US Republican Majority goes back to Reconstruction (post US Civil War). It takes about two pages to explain to a non-US history buff why. If it will give you that kind of depth of knowledge in the regions you are interested in, and you want to go into International Relations, take it.

2603AMC: Being,Consciousness,Existence – nice course. Take it some day when you have the leisure. Or if you are a tortured soul considering life, the Universe, and Everything. Though if that is your problem, go see the movie, it's cheaper and only two hours long.
      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding... but I'm not an aboriginal.

I have that flag because 1) I wish to acknowledge the traditional owners of Australia, and 2) I hate the other Australian flag.

Comment

The last three sound super interesting. However, the Philosophy course sounds like it would be too much work for a final semester (when you want to just hang out and not do too much ).

World History is always a good class (loved my World History class... though it was 'World History in the 20th Century').

Global Security sounds fun as well.

Though my biases as a Political Science major (focusing on political philosophy and international relations... as well as my major on Economics) shows up there .

Check out the professors and see which one people like the most .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think World History won't give you more than a cursory glance. So that sould be safe to ignore.

Besides that maybe go talk with people who have taken the courses to see what they think.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

How about:

HIS999: From Blow Jobs to Blown Occupations: The Rise and Fall of the American Empire

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Prof. Striker
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Here in the engine room we've dispensed with the theory long ago - so do whatever interests you.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

You guys have a course on world history?

I mean not that I wouldn't like it per se, but it seems to me that a course with such a general topic can't do much more than providing a rather superficial overview (as UR said).....how much hrs/week would that course have? Hm, but then you aren't a history student in the first place.....
                    Blah

Comment

Forget politics and take an art elective. I majored in Political Science, and I ended my college career with classes like "Wheel-thrown Pottery" and "Black and White Photography". I didn't regret it either.
                      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

I'm afraid I can't help you much, as I'm only in Year 12 myself--but the Sciences course seems related to some of the stuff you're considering and might be helpful in understanding how society is made up. Since you're focussing on politics perhaps it might be more interesting to see learn such information and see how it compares or meshes with other things you've learnt about society and politics.
                        On a related note, could you please tell me a bit about what you've gained at uni so far with the courses you took? I'm wondering whether to take Arts but I heard that so many of the courses were bludges. How did you find the ones you've learnt so far? It'd help if you said which uni you go to as well. [I'm in Melbourne so I don't know how helpful Sydney universties info might be]
                        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

At the moment I'm leaning towards doing Being, Consciousness and Existence. Hegel, Nietzsche and Heidegger sound interesting.

Hegel will likely enrichen my study of Marx, Nietzsche will enrichen my study of postmodernism and poststructuralism, and Heidegger will perhaps open the door to phenomenology, something which I've read about, but I don't believe I understand in the least.

I have the course dossier for Power and Policy Making (borrowed from a friend)... so maybe I can eschew that course and just read the dossier. I feel competent enough to understand the material without having to hold a lecturer's hand.

From reading the course outline to World History, it seems to be more about teaching a method of historical study, than about actually teaching the history of the world.

Here is an extract from the course introduction:

[World History] addresses the extent to which much of the modern historiography of World History is Eurocentric and statist. It focuses upon those cultural, economic and political forms that are often regarded as distinctively 'Western' and modern, and problematizes the equation often made between the 'West' and modernity. To do so the course combines constructivist pedagogy with recent approaches to historical sociology. Highly innovative teaching methods are used throughout.

The name suggests that it is about World History... but in fact it is dedicated to the thumping of Dead White Historians

Its taught by a Philosophy professor who co-taught a philosophy subject I did in 1st Year. He was talking about Religion and God... and tried to convince us that humans needed to believe in illusions, and that atheism can be connected with suicide and mental illness.

I paint a simply picture of the man (who seemed quite intelligent, but maybe that's just because I couldn't keep up with him due to the fact that he was clearly on some sort of amphetamine cocktail)

Comment

Arts can be a bludge (but is not universally so)... but I've found it quite rewarding. Your studies won't be completely rudderless, but will be general enough to expand your understanding beyond a single discipline. You can choose one or two majors (at my uni anyway) where you can focus your studies.
                            Arts is a good subject if you wish to do postgraduate studies... you can start from the general and move to the specific. It is not a degree to take to a job interview on its own... at least I don't think it is.
                            I believe its all in how you apply yourself to the subject matter. You can take a course as a self contained cell of knowledge to be consumed and than surpassed, or you can treat a course as a signpost pointing to a wider body of knowledge. Whether or not you follow the signpost is suggestive of whether or not that particular field is right for you.
                            My problem is that I'm following too many signposts and thus my knowledge is too general... kinda like too little butter spread over too much bread (to paraphrase Bilbo Baggins).
                            But Uni is all about self discipline... you've gotta take the initiative. If the course is a bludge... it just means you haven't delved deeply enough. Remember that the marks you get are not a useful indicator of your progress or your knowledge. I've received top marks for essays which I've put very little effort into. You have to mark yourself, in a way.
                            I'm in Brisbane, so I can't help you with Unis. I would guess though, that the Uni of Melbourne would have the better arts program. Don't quote me on that though. Monash, RMIT and La Trobe all seem to be very decent schools.
                            Last edited by Dracon II; June 28, 2005, 11:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                              Forget politics and take an art elective. I majored in Political Science, and I ended my college career with classes like "Wheel-thrown Pottery" and "Black and White Photography". I didn't regret it either.
                              Man, I wish I had that kind of electives.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X