No announcement yet.

Panspermia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

God works in mysterious infuriating ways...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Make that four bananas.
      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

This is getting weird. First, Darwin says we're descended from apes. Now, Apolyton says we're descended from bananas.

Comment

Hardly a bunch...I'll illustrate...

"God works in mysterious infuriating ways..."

Sometimes...
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Since Creationists (including IDers) insist that YHWH created life on earth, so life coming from another planet is equally unacceptable to them. Okay, make that Christian Creationists, since I realise there are also Islamic Creationists.

As for evolutionists, we don't care one way or another how life first arose on earth. That is the domain of abiogenesis.
            Yep,
            from the standpoint of an biologist it doesn´t matter.
            It can be said that it´s a lot more probable that life originated on earth, because panspermia has a lot of ifs (the cells have to survive a long journey through space [with their carrier {probably a meteor} being constantly bombarded by cosmic rays] and have to hit earth (which is really tiny compared to the vastness of space) at a time, where earths environment would allow the cells to survive).
            So, although it is possible for that life could be transferred from one planet to another (probably in another solar system) the probability that it would happen (at the right time) is very small, IMHO much smaller than assuming that life evolved on earth itself.
            And as UR already said, from a biologists standpoint it doesn´t make a difference if the first cells evolved on earth or on another planet. It would only shift the first steps of evolution from earth to the other planet (according to the panspermia Homepage these people believe that life didn´t evolve from organic molecules (i.e. no abiogenic evolution) but was present at all the time since the beginning of the universe. This part of the theory of course is unacceptable to a biologist (it cannot be derivated in a logical mannerr by what we know from the universe [for example heavier elements just were created with the help of supernova explosions, so where should the heavier elements [like oxygen] come from before the first supernova happened? )

As for Creationists, as UR said, it would be unacceptable to them just like the theory of evolution. Their belief is, that YHWH created all the animals and plants in the form we see now. There might be small changes (for example animals adapting to different temperature ranges) but within the view of the christian creationists there is definitely no place for higher multicellular animals and plants evolving from a single cellular organism (no matter if you make them belief that YHWH sent this single cells to earth or not). They believe the book of Genesis to be literally true (which clearly rules out evolution from simple to more complex organisms if taken literally).
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Pantspermia...an unfortunate accident
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                First, Darwin says we're descended from apes. Now, Apolyton says we're descended from bananas.
                Believe whoever you wish.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                X