Panspermia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panspermia

The modern version of panspermia, Cosmic Ancestry treats all of evolution, not just the origin of life on Earth.

Are we ET?
    Yes, life came from space
    33.33%
    No, life developed here on Earth
    48.15%
    Banana
    18.52%
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

[Beavis and Butthead]
    Uh, huhuhuhuh. Sperm.
    [/Beavis and Butthead]
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Yes, no, maybe.

Ultimately it doesn't matter - life had to orginate on some planet.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
        [Beavis and Butthead]
        Uh, huhuhuhuh. Sperm.
        [/Beavis and Butthead]
        I'm glad you said it first.

I voted pro-panspermia.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

It's a completely unneccessary theory.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
            It's a completely unneccessary theory.
            From a religious POV you are quite correct.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

As far as we can tell today, BG is right.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

It's something that can suit both evolutionists and creationists. Panspermia doesn't deny the theory of evolution, so I don't see why evolutionists should have a problem with it. Also, some panspermists say that life is seeded from outer space, as in an advanced alien race did that - which can suit creationists because, at least as far as I can see, there's really no difference between God seeding life here or an alien race doing so.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I have to disagree with BG, in that it's a fascinating hypothesis. Quite simply, we have no evidence either way since we don't know yet how life started on Earth... it's a case of tossing a coin. All we can do is speculate while we wait for better evidence. The danger here is that the religious will use the fact that we don't have a clear picture yet to support their own theories.

Of course, lack of evidence "for" does not constitute evidence "against". That we don't know is the premise for endeavouring to understand so it's an own goal for the religious to attack here because in doing so they accept scientific method, with it's natural bias against bull****.

Scientific method
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                    I have to disagree with BG, in that it's a fascinating hypothesis. Quite simply, we have no evidence either way since we don't know yet how life started on Earth... it's a case of tossing a coin.
                    That's why it's an unnecessary theory.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

No, that's the point, it's not a theory. It's a hypothesis, and we need hypotheses so that they can evolve into theories (hypothesis + evidence = theory), who's usefulness depends upon the strength of evidence for obvious reasons.
                      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Call it whatever you want; this far, it doesn't explain anything that's not just as easily explained without it, and is thus unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                          Call it whatever you want; this far, it doesn't explain anything that's not just as easily explained without it, and is thus unnecessary.
                          Bingo.

I suppose it gives SciFi geeks something to fantasize about, but there's really no point to it at the moment, since there's not a shred of evidence for it. Until there is, the more logical explanation is that life started here, since this is where life actually is.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                            It's something that can suit both evolutionists and creationists. Panspermia doesn't deny the theory of evolution, so I don't see why evolutionists should have a problem with it. Also, some panspermists say that life is seeded from outer space, as in an advanced alien race did that - which can suit creationists because, at least as far as I can see, there's really no difference between God seeding life here or an alien race doing so.
                            Since Creationists (including IDers) insist that YHWH created life on earth, so life coming from another planet is equally unacceptable to them. Okay, make that Christian Creationists, since I realise there are also Islamic Creationists.

As for evolutionists, we don't care one way or another how life first arose on earth. That is the domain of abiogenesis.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Huh, an absolutely deadlocked poll. At this point, 9 to 9, with three bananas.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X