Lance Armstrong vs. Jeff Gordon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lance Armstrong vs. Jeff Gordon

The Tour de' France is coming up next month, and Lance is saying that it's his last race. Will he win?

Also, how much more of a sport is bicycle racing than say NASCAR? Driving takes some skill and physical effort, maybe less physical effort but more skill, but both sports are highly technical.

Would "sport" even be the right word?
    Monkey!!!

Well, 3500 km (2200 miles?) in three weeks across France while climbing the Alps and the Pyrennees(sp?) on a bicycle vs driving a car on a race circuit?

Tough choice...
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

do you know how hard it is to drive in a peloton without crashing into everyone?
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

About a million times easier and a billion times less athletic than the Tour de France?
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

lance is the man
          "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

People consistently underestimate the physical and mental strength needed to drive race cars. The heat build up in the car is one thing, but the constant concentration needed is even worse.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I have no doubt that it's not easy to drive a race car - but it's not in the same league as being one of the best endurance bike racers in the world.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                People consistently underestimate the physical and mental strength needed to drive race cars. The heat build up in the car is one thing, but the constant concentration needed is even worse.
                Race cars, yes.

NASCARs, not so much...
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                  I have no doubt that it's not easy to drive a race car - but it's not in the same league as being one of the best endurance bike racers in the world.

-- its not even close

I think Lance will win IF he has trained as he has in other years. I just don't know if he has or will have the drive to force himself to endure the pain necessary to win. I suspect he has and the chant of "just one last time" will be enough to drive him
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I just looked at the route and there are once again some impressive climbs, . . . I believe the earliest occurs on day 9 and it is then that quite a bit of the story will unfold
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

day 9? thats pretty early. usually the first two weeks are flats.
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

stages 10, 11, and 14 are the only real tough mountain ones (16 to a lesser extent)
                        Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; June 22, 2005, 14:46.

Comment

Last year, when it was clear that USPS had the strongest team, Tour officials changed the rules and put a cap on the advantage from the Team Time Trial stage. Are there any interesting rule changes this year?
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Day 9

Vosges (88)
                            Km 6,5 Col de Grosse Pierre Alt. 955 m Ascent of 3,1 km at a 6,4% gradient
                            Km 22 Col des Feignes Alt. 992 m Ascent of 9 km at a 2,9% gradient
                            Km 32,5 Col de Bramont Alt. 956 m Ascent of 3,4 km at a 6,5% gradient
                            Haut-Rhin (68)
                            Km 64 Le Grand Ballon Alt. 1 338 m Ascent of 21,9 km at a 3,6% gradient
                            Km 98 Col de Bussang Alt. 731 m Ascent of 6,2 km at a 4,5% gradient
                            Vosges (88)
                            Km 115 Le Ballon d'Alsace Alt. 1 171m Ascent of 9,1 km at a 6,8% gradient

The last peak could be something but with a fairly long downhill and flat after that, I don't see it as being a stage where an overall contender tries to make their break. Too early in the race and its too easy for the peloton to make up ground

Its not as tough as some others but definitely qualifies as a mountain stage. They are classing 9 stages as flat, 6 as mountain and 3 as medium mountain plus 2 ITT and one TTT.

Stage 10 is one where we see what is happening

Grenoble > Courchevel
                            Mardi 12 juillet - Distance: 192 km
                            Savoie (73)
                            Km 118 Cormet de Roselend Alt. 1 968 m Ascent of 20,1 km at a 6% gradient
                            Km 192 Courchevel Alt. 2 004 m Ascent of 21,8 km at a 6,3% gradient

Two long climbs and a mountain finish makes this a good stage for creating some gaps in the GC. I see this as a stage where a typical Armstron tactic would be to set a punishing pace, but not to try to gain much time on his main rivals. But it is a stage where some also rans can lose a lot of time

With 11 the next day

Courchevel > Briançon
                            Mercredi 13 juillet - Distance: 173 km
                            Savoie (74)
                            Km 55 Col de la Madeleine Alt. 2 000 m Ascent of 25,4 km at a 6,1% gradient
                            Km 110 Col du Télégraphe Alt. 1 566 m Ascent of 12 km at a 6,7% gradient
                            Km 133 Col du Galibier Alt. 2 645 m Ascent of 17,5 km at a 6,9% gradient

ITs a 1-2 punch where the race gets sorted out.

Oh and LoA, you missed stage 15 as a tough mountain stage-- The mountains are smaller but look at those gradients

Haute-Garonne (31)
                            Km 85 Col du Portet d'Aspet Alt. 1 069 m Ascent of 2,7 km at a 8,4% gradient
                            Km 100,5 Col de Menté Alt. 1 349 m Ascent of 7 km at a 8,1% gradient
                            Km 137,5 Col du Portillon Alt. 1 320 m Ascent of 8,3 km at a 7,2% gradient
                            Hautes-Pyrénées (65)
                            Km 162 Col de Peyresourde Alt. 1 569 m Ascent of 13 km at a 6,9% gradient
                            Km 182,5 Col de Val Louron-Azet Alt. 1 580 m Ascent of 7,5 km at a 7,9% gradient
                            Km 205 Saint-Lary Soulan (Pla d'Adet) Alt. 1 669 m Ascent of 10,7 km at a 7,6% gradient

With a rest day following and a mountaintop finish, I expect this stage to be where contenders make a big move. The last 4 peaks are pretty close together and I don't see the peloton catching up

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
                              Last year, when it was clear that USPS had the strongest team, Tour officials changed the rules and put a cap on the advantage from the Team Time Trial stage. Are there any interesting rule changes this year?
                              None that I have seen yet. I actually don't like the TTT rule changes. I think a team should just live with their time regardless of what it is

Comment

Working...
                              X