Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Sec of State Rice criticizes govt of US ally Egypt

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ast_rice_dc_40
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

So why don't we put similar pressure on another despotic ally (Saudi Arabia)?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Is it your goal tonight to ask non sequitur questions, MrFun?

Comment

I think it's his life's ambition, just after being completely devoid of humor.

Comment

And her comments will be followed up how?

Yep, I am sure the Egyptians are quaking in their boots. Or where, for about a nanosecond. Then reality came flooding back in.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't exactly agree with Egypt's actions, but what is America going to do if Egypt's elections aren't "fair", send over a carrier with a few bombers and marines? Yeah, I bet...I'd like if Egypt listened to the US, but honestly, if they don't, its not like anybody is going to do anything...

Comment

A possible reaction could be cutting or eliminating Egypt's massive foreign aid it recieves from the US.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I doubt the US would be willing to alienate its ally. However, I've seen some positive change in the US' foreign policy:

- promotion of democracy, while still suffering from the bad old habits (help toward brutal dictatorships, liberal use of violence/war toward unfriendly regimes), seems to have become an aim where the American diplomacy is ready to invest actual resources.

- the Yanks seem now less unprepared to walk the walk in case an unfriendly party wins power in a democracy. The US policy now tolerates the victory of moderate islamists in elections. The Muslim Brothers (who are "moderate" only with a very broad definition of the word) could be able to win without too much American harassment.

So, maybe Rice's warning is actually not too empty. It may forebode an actual change in the US-Egypt relationship if Moubarak insists making these elections meaningless.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  And her comments will be followed up how?

Yep, I am sure the Egyptians are quaking in their boots. Or where, for about a nanosecond. Then reality came flooding back in.
                  What substantively did we do for eastern europe in the 80's aside from words? Yet the words were appreciated by dissidents there. Words matter in authoritarian regimes, which is why they go to so much trouble to censor them. Why Serb et al were so outraged at a few WORDS expressed by western leaders about Ukraine. Words matter in diplomacy. They carry the implied threat of greater action. Simply by implication, they change the political dynamic.

GePaps cynicism about words and diplomacy would make him fit very well among certain wingnut types I know.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    A possible reaction could be cutting or eliminating Egypt's massive foreign aid it recieves from the US.
                    a quick reminder. Israel is scheduled to disengage from Gaza in August. Egypt is being counted on to prevent smuggling of arms to terrorist groups there, and to generally backstop the PA if internal Pal violence breaks out. That has to be a constraining factor on US policy towards Egypt, at least in the short term.

We're trying to pressure our ally, NOT have them cease being our ally. Which is a subtle and difficult thing to pull off.

Of course those who would prefer that the US have fewer allies will not be sympathetic to those concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                      Is it your goal tonight to ask non sequitur questions, MrFun?

How is it "non sequitur?" I'm asking why United States is not more consistent with its foreign policy.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                        So why don't we put similar pressure on another despotic ally (Saudi Arabia)?
                        Mr Fun asks, Condi responds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/4113618.stm

Damn, you get results fast, Mr Fun.

Comment

Me thinks I should put one of my feet in my mouth now.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Me thinks I should put one of my feet in my mouth now.
                            No, no, no, you should demand that 10 million dollars be sent to LOTM immediately. Mr Fun asks, and it is done.

seriously, you posted on Monday, and the article was on Tuesday. Why should you put your foot in your mouth? You didnt miss publicly available info, like, er, some people around here do.

Comment

Or maybe it's just that Condi lurks here on Apolyton, and she saw my post.

Comment

Working...
                              X