No announcement yet.

Do you know how much you eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe, to each their own i guess. Meanwhile i get to eat 4000+ kcals a day whereas you have to watch what you eat. Checks and balances. For example rowers quite often go for high GI foods contrary to everything Boris has been saying as if you time it right the sugar spike is very beneficial when racing. If you sit on your arse when the spike hits, it won't do much good.

Comment

How is that contrary to what I said? I clearly mentioned that people who exercise as much as you do won't have a problem. But most people don't get nearly that much exercise.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
        The issue isn't "plenty of exercise," though. Most people don't have the time or wherewithal to exercise as much as someone like lightblue, so they can't maintain large-calorie diets no matter what.

And it's not just the number of calories--that's old, out-of-date FDA food pyramid stuff. It's a combo of three factors: quantity of food, what one eat's, and how one eats. These are all important factors in a diet.

If you're diet consists of high-glycemic food, you will get fat. If you consume the same amount of calories of low-glycemic foods, you will see better results. This has been verified in studies of high-protein, low-carb diets like Atkins and South Beach. These studies have found--much against what they expected to find--that people on such diets can eat more calories per day and still lose weight. They also, more surprisingly, lowered their blood pressure and bad cholesterol levels. Now, there are other problems with Atkins (die, kidneys, die!), but SB seems (so far) to be quite healthy and sensible.

Bananas are great for energy if you're going to be working out and for potassium. But one a day is plenty. Eating 4 is bound to be a problem in a balanced diet.
        Oh, of course, cause all those very low protein, high fiber and sugar diets of the poor farmers worldwide have just lead to an endless obesity epidemic. All that corn, Manioc, rice, its killing people worldwide!

As for "high calorie". 4 Bananas equal 400 Calories tops. You still have 1600 more calories to go. Someone eating 2000 calories is not going to be a balloon unless they have a pathetically low metabolism.

In short, the sotr of people whyo would eat four Bananas are not fat, nor do they get fat, cause the sort of people who would eat 4 Bananas is hardly the sort who will be stuffing his face with the real dangerous foods that up your blood pressure and hurt organs and such.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
          Oh, of course, cause all those very low protein, high fiber and sugar diets of the poor farmers worldwide have just lead to an endless obesity epidemic. All that corn, Manioc, rice, its killing people worldwide!
          I mentioned the fact that high-fiber foods are NOT high-glycemic. I'm thinking you're not quite clear on the whole glycemic index thing. High GI foods lead to spikes in blood sugar, which increase insulin levels. Higher levels of insulin reduce the ability of the body to burn fat calories, thereby slowing metabolism.

As for "high calorie". 4 Bananas equal 400 Calories tops. You still have 1600 more calories to go. Someone eating 2000 calories is not going to be a balloon unless they have a pathetically low metabolism.

In short, the sotr of people whyo would eat four Bananas are not fat, nor do they get fat, cause the sort of people who would eat 4 Bananas is hardly the sort who will be stuffing his face with the real dangerous foods that up your blood pressure and hurt organs and such.
          Does PH look slim and fit to you? You've lost sight of the issue. He's not currently exercising and his overall diet isn't condusive to weight loss. So do 4 bananas on top of that hurt? You bet they do.

And I find the notion that someone who eats 4 bananas is "hardly the sort" to stuff his face with something else to be a silly BAM. So people who eat bananas are, by default, health-conscious? Give me a break. People who eat crap also eat fruits and vegetables, you know.
          Last edited by Boris Godunov; June 23, 2005, 00:06.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

You can get away with much less calories than the average, however you must have a balanced diet and get everything you need from your meals.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Ah, the health fascists ride again...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                Ah, the health fascists ride again...
                Nobody is forcing you to cut back on your gluttonous intake. It's your body. If you don't want to take care of it, it's not my problem.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                X