Aruba and the Ugly Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    Who is actually calling for an Aruba boycott?
    americans upset over racial profiling and the arrest of 2 innocent black men.

Last edited by Dis; June 16, 2005, 01:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

she's ****ing hot. I'd have sex with her a 1000 times over.
      Necrophiliac.
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Boycotting over this?! pah.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

I boycott America because of it's high murder rate.

Was Aruba a British or Dutch colony? Just wondering what money I have to take to a country where the beaches are nice, the people friendly, and the insane reactionary Americans are 4000 miles away.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Dutch colony, IIRC.

Now, which country murders the most pretty American girls? Let's find out and boycott them!
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

its a ex-dutch colony...and AFAIK also one dutch guy has been arrested in aruba for the murder of the girl...
              Bunnies!
              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
                ex-dutch colony
                No, it's still Dutch. It just has a 'status aparte' (i.e. slightly more autonomy than the rest of the Dutch Antilles).
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

true enough...
                  Bunnies!
                  Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                  God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                  'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                    I boycott America because of it's high murder rate.

Was Aruba a British or Dutch colony? Just wondering what money I have to take to a country where the beaches are nice, the people friendly, and the insane reactionary Americans are 4000 miles away.

When I was in St. Martin, some years ago, priced were quoted in Francs on the French side. On the Dutch side prices were quoted in dollars. Of course they were happy to take dollars on the French side as well. I presume now that prices on both sides are quoted in Euros, but that both sides STIILL are happy to take dollars. So i wouldnt worry what currency you carry - this is the West Indies man, they like MONEY, period.

And yes, I recall a few years ago Euros being afraid to go to, I think Miami, cause of some incidents involving rental cars.

Im not to in sympathy with the anger about this getting covered. I mean I might choose to cover other things, sure. But this IS a tragic situation, whether its newsworthy or not. It doesnt call for some of the snarkiness here. Look, you dont like the news judgement of the mainstream media, dont watch/read them. Theres plenty of other sources.

BTW, when was the last time an 18 year old Black American female student went missing in the West Indies??
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

"These horrible e-mails, just horrible," Renfro said. "They were from both blacks and whites from there in the United States, only the United States, criticizing Aruba and how they planned to never set foot on Aruba ever again ... [b]because of the cruelty against these two security guards, how it was so obvious to anyone around the world ... that this was discrimination."[b]

Now tell me how this makes America "reactionary"???
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                        Now, which country murders the most pretty American girls?
                        The USA. D'uh.
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

americans upset over racial profiling and the arrest of 2 innocent black men.
                          Do you mean a subset of those who sent the 200 e-mails? If so, then that's a pretty pathetic boycott...
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                          X