Apolyton Naming Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alva

You don't call your boxer-short Alain, do you??
    No, I dont . I was mentionning a convention on initials, not on names. I would never give a name to things, they would believe that they have rights. My house has a name (Villa de la Blaise) which was decided by the original owner, around 1900. Blaise is a stream running on the last side of my garden.
    Statistical anomaly.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Re: Apolyton Naming Convention

Originally posted by Pekka
      OK folks.. it's about time to talk about the things in your house or in your everyday life that you give names to. More weird.. the better.

I have to admit I name my underwear. I do think I have better than average memory, I remember numbers extremely well and pictures. So I got them both down. The way it happens is that I have natural way of playing with words and things in my mind to make it more interesting.. I must say my underwear is interesting, but I make it even more interesting. For fun.

Ok.. today I wore Nasty Boys. Yes I call them Nasty Boys.. in english. I don't have a finnish name for them. They are kind of .. a little too tight briefs! The only briefs I have.. like swimming trunks!.. thus Nasty Boys. I should throw them out but I have grown to like them ever since I started calling them that, and when I put them on I go in front of a mirror and give a big smile to myself and say 'nasty boys, yeah! go son go!' or something similar. It's an insider joke exclusively for me when I walk down the streets wearing Nasty Boys. No one knows.. but I'm wearing them.

Then I have 'The Grey'.. they are comfortable boxers.. I just lay down the rest of the names I have, no need for a story longer than that, plus most don't have any story.

Nasty Boys
      The Grey
      Saturday (doesn't mean I wear them every saturday )
      Magneto
      Kraftwerk
      Naima Aslakit (don't ask, does not translate)
      Banana Split
      Weekenders
      Silks

... I have of course more underwear than that but the rest is more boring, mostly refering the the color etc.

Oh.........my.......God......
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

my computers:

Linux/Windows Desktop: Jezebel
        Mac Cube: Azalea
        Windows Laptop: Calyx
        Linux Desktop: Lilac

(it's a new series, last year they were all gemstones, rather than floral. that said, Jezebel's name hasn't changed in years.)
        B♭3

Comment

The only name I give my computers is "YOU ****ING USELESS PIECE OF ****!"
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Hey, I didn't know our PC's are related to each other!!!
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Her name is Tes and I'm about to break up with her. Her body is not in the shape it used to be. She also cries too much. Her name came from the prior owner's license plate '#TES####'. However, she is usually just referred to by her nick name, "my car".

Comment

I have to admit I name my underwear.
                Nasty Boys
                The Grey
                Saturday (doesn't mean I wear them every saturday )
                Magneto
                Kraftwerk
                Naima Aslakit (don't ask, does not translate)
                Banana Split
                Weekenders
                Silks
                Which one is best for SuperCitizen?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                  The only name I give my computers is "YOU ****ING USELESS PIECE OF ****!"
                  I was thinking this, but you beat me to it.

Pekka, you are utterly, utterly insane. Usually I jest about people seeking psychiatric assistance but this time I genuinely mean it
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

nothing wrong in what I said I do. What's wrong with it? A bit unusual? Sure. Is that wrong? Of course it isn't. It's only insane in your mind, but I can't see anything wrong with it. THis means you have the problem.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I never heard of naming computers, or any of the other stuff.

you people are weird. I'm not hanging around with you all anymore.

Comment

You know, I'm with Diss on this one
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I also don´t know a single school where the comps are named. But then, when I was at school, we were happy to get at least four of these machines, so no need to name them...

My flatmate´s desktops are called "Shinji Ikarii" and "Brennmann". I honestly have no idea what that should mean...
                          Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                          Let me eat your yummy brain!
                          "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

actually I should note I did put something in the name block when I installed windows on this computer. I figured they wouldn't let you leave it blank. I usually put in butthead, and the owner as beavis.

But I don't go around calling my computer beavis. I call it my computer.

Comment

At my school, the windows computers don't have names, but all the servers and linux desktops do. The desktops from a particular set are all named along a common theme; the newest ones are heroes, then the rock stars, then the elements, and I think we don't have any of the transformers anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                                actually I should note I did put something in the name block when I installed windows on this computer. I figured they wouldn't let you leave it blank. I usually put in butthead, and the owner as beavis.

But I don't go around calling my computer beavis. I call it my computer.
                                Aye, I don't call my computer creideiki either, it's just tradition that computers get a name. It often has a role in networking, although in the case of my box it doesn't...
                                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                                X