G8 - Debt forgiveness for poorest nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G8 - Debt forgiveness for poorest nations

I dont find a thread on this. Surprising.

Following the lead of Tony Blair, with the strong support of World Bank president Paul Wolfowitz, the G8 nations have agreed to a plan for the forgiveness of money owed to international lending agencies (World Bank, IMF, African Development Bank, etc) on the part of 18 of the worlds poorest countries. About $40 billion will be involved. To qualify nations must be both poor and must meet certain standards on economic and political reforms. Some other countries that are currently disqualified cause of lack of reforms, may become qualified. Meanwhile the 18 countries, 14 in Africa and 4 in Latin America, will no longer have to pay debt service on these loans, and will have more money for education, health care, etc.

This change
    Tony Blair
    Global poverty and hunger
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

i don't know what's so amazing about it. It's not like the bozo tony will see any of the money. When you give to the most poor (a loan) in this world, you will never see that money again. So, that should be kept in mind when giving loans. Not saying loans shouldn't be given and forgiven, just saying you won't see the money returning.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      i don't know what's so amazing about it. It's not like the bozo tony will see any of the money. When you give to the most poor (a loan) in this world, you will never see that money again. So, that should be kept in mind when giving loans. Not saying loans shouldn't be given and forgiven, just saying you won't see the money returning.
      I think theres a growing consensus that help to the poorest countries should be in the form of aid, not loans. But that was not the case a couple of decades ago - when it was assumed that growth in the poorest countries would be faster.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

This is good. Poorer countries should have to pay back loans unless they either have control of their economies or their economies grow enough to pay back the loans without cuts to important things.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

You can get more money in loans than you can get in aid. The problem was that the money spent did not result in economic gains in the target country. It was thought that economic reforms and such that were linked to the loans along with the development projects funded by the loans would change their economies for the better. It now appears that projects and economic reforms cannot improve a country's economy, but instead institutional reforms do.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

*feels pride at being a member of the Labour party*

Comment

I could say a lot of things, but I won't. Just one. It's about time.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sounds good
                But long long long overdue, some countries have been spending more on debt repayment than on education and health...
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

and in the other news, how's wolfie doing at the head of the IMF ?
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Just curious, is Wolfy supportive of Bush or Blair's policy (Bush wants a debt amnesty, while Blair wants the rich countries to take over third world debt, so that these states can still take out loans)?

And props to Blair's Africa aid campaign (and I ask again why oh why can't we have him instead...).
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                      And props to Blair's Africa aid campaign (and I ask again why oh why can't we have him instead...).
                      The teeth. Bush owns Blair in the dental department.
                      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Can't disagree with that.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

Though in the mental department...
                          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            yes, we need to declare it all bad debt, forgive it, and not issue any more.

Comment

it's a great idea, lets just hope the money goes to people who actually need it.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X