No announcement yet.

Why are the aliens here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solver, there's lots of water in the solar system. Metiors or asteroids or something is made of ice. Also, one of the moons around one of the gas giants has lots of water and there cis speculation that it may hold life in oceans under the ice. Water isn't particularly rare.

It was just a dull example. There maybe some geological things about Earth, though, that are very rare in a planet. I assume it could be pretty much anything. Maybe very few planets have natural sources of both gases such as methane and also heavy elements such as uranium. Maybe the concentration of oxygen is unusually high here. Anything.

Consequences too big? Like what? The religious thing, do you really think any church would care about such a disclosure? The Catholics said we were the center of the universe and they were wrong. Persecuted an innocent they did. I doubt they're still stuck on that. Besides, in the bible Jesus says he has to go and tend other flocks, or something like that. Could be he's got more going on in this big universe that this little world.

I said I am an optimist and I believe humanity can handle that. Note that I myself said in my original post that the church dealed with the fall of the geocentric system, it could also deal with aliens. But, some worries are warranted. There are too many stupid people. Some would panic, believing the aliens are about to attack or that there's some secret plan in place to instate an alien control over Earth. Then, I can imagine the reaction of people in the USA if they found out that the government has been hiding for 50 years something it even refused to acknowledge existed or could exist. This would hugely undermine people's trust in governments. But fear I guess would be the worst there - people are afraid of their own technology too often, and I think too many would be afraid of an alien civilization that's about 500 years more advanced than ours.

Yeah, the Star Trek thing. I doubt it myself. I'm more inclined to think they either just couldn't be bothered because they are so advanced, or that they don't because of religious reasons, ie God told them not to mess. Satan and his angels cast out, this planet their destination because luci8fer was in charge of it, (or something like that) makes earth a place of great interest for the universe but also a quarantined planet.

The Star Trek explanation is quite likely, IMO. In a way, it's the same as why scientists observing a stone-age-level tribe wouldn't show themselves. They wouldn't want to scare the tribe, change their development inadvertedly or worse yet, let them steal a Beretta and kill themselves with it.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
      The Star Trek explanation is quite likely, IMO. In a way, it's the same as why scientists observing a stone-age-level tribe wouldn't show themselves. They wouldn't want to scare the tribe, change their development inadvertedly or worse yet, let them steal a Beretta and kill themselves with it.
      OK, when has this actually happened in human history?

"Hey Chris, theesa peoples are a steella savages. Wesa gotta leave dem alone so dat theysa gonna developa just like wea deed."

"Chu know? I thinka yousa right. Wesa gonna turn righta aroun an tell Pheelep ana 'Leeza dat theysa nutin' here."
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

There are some stone age tribes out there now... but I really can't decide what would be worse, leaving them alone or having us "civilized" people teach them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

OK, when has this actually happened in human history?

"Hey Chris, theesa peoples are a steella savages. Wesa gotta leave dem alone so dat theysa gonna developa just like wea deed."

"Chu know? I thinka yousa right. Wesa gonna turn righta aroun an tell Pheelep ana 'Leeza dat theysa nutin' here."
          Since when was Jar-Jar an archeologist?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            Since when was Jar-Jar an archeologist?
            Since when was Columbus an archeologist?

Comment

There are some stone age tribes out there now... but I really can't decide what would be worse, leaving them alone or having us "civilized" people teach them.
              Leaving them alone. Civilization rocks. Being an ignorant short-lived savage sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Since when was Columbus an archeologist?
                Meesa thinks yousa didn't getsa the joke-a.

Comment

In the wrong thread you are.

Solver
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I'm reading 'The Alien Years', Silverberg. It poses an interesting question. How do you resist against an all powerful enemy?

Comment

You don't, you realise the fact that you are utterly f**ked!
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

How do you resist against an all powerful enemy?

How powerful? Against a simply more powerful enemy, it's partisan tactics and insurgence. That's what's happening in Iraq now, what has happened in many wars, etc. However, if there was a truly overwhelming alien military force, there would be no useful resistance. As PH says, you're fu*ked.

Comment

solver "The Star Trek explanation is quite likely, IMO. In a way, it's the same as why scientists observing a stone-age-level tribe wouldn't show themselves. They wouldn't want to scare the tribe, change their development inadvertedly or worse yet, let them steal a Beretta and kill themselves with it."

uh yeah.. what he said
                          "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

I don't think there are any out there now that haven't been in some way impacted by the modern world. In Brazil for instance Amazon tribes are encouraged to visit government posts several times/year. At these posts the government keeps track of them, settles disputes, and exchanges various items. Most of the tribes now have steel knives. In New Guinea most of the tribes trade with mobile traders.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

"You don't, you realise the fact that you are utterly f**ked!"

That's pretty much what happened in the book, so far.

"How powerful? Against a simply more powerful enemy, it's partisan tactics and insurgence. That's what's happening in Iraq now, what has happened in many wars, etc. However, if there was a truly overwhelming alien military force, there would be no useful resistance. As PH says, you're fu*ked."

Super powerful. I don't want to post spoilers...

If it happened to me I'd go farming somewhere, also raise some chickens and pigs, hope they left as they came. Who knows, maybe they are at war with some other aliens...liberation might occur.

Comment

What do aliens want? Well, considering that the universe, most likely, isn't exactly heavily populated, another planet with "intelligent" lifeforms might be a rarity...

Really, though, the question is "Why not be interested in Earth"? So maybe our technology to aliens is...out of date...but perhaps aliens can learn from our culture, our philosophies, and our governments...

Yeah, they probably have already seen it all, but there is no point in not researching earth...its not like we're going to launch a nuclear missile at their homeworld...

Comment

Working...
                                X