Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are the aliens here?

Assuming, of course.

I don't think anything we're doing is particularly interesting to creatures that can cross the galaxy. Politics, wars, blah, all boring.

This earth...maybe. The planet might be interesting. Who knows how common nice planets like this are? So, they might want it. However it's crawling with nasty bugs, germs, viruses, all likely to be particular to this planet.

Life. The defenses against germs and viruses might be interesting for the aliens. If the aliens have been traveling the galaxy for a billion years, might they also have been evolving themselves geneticly for eternal life. If you live forever things that can bring that life to an end would be interesting. Also, natural adaptions that coiuld improve ones life would be of interest.

So, if they want the planet or if they want to learn about life on earth, they would have a reason to come here.

Why then, remain hidden from human beings? Except for the odd sightings, like the recent one MtG described, or the sighting I had maybe 20 years ago. Unless of course the aliens are in contact with humans at some level. If it's a government or governments, why would they remain silent?

blah...
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Cross breeding genetic experiments with Ted Striker.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Attached Files
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Maybe they want our WOMEN!!!
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The aliens are Chinese?!!
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Or maybe they've found a way to turn viruses into some form of energy or uber efficient uber powerful energy nad they jsut drop within the atmosphere every once in a while to pick up some fuel.

Maybe they are lost...nobody ever considered that.
            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

As I've already said, they'r carousing teens drunk driving their dad's saucer.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

They fear we might blow ourselves up...
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Water. There are some suspiciously missing lakes in California and Kazakhistan.
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Lancer,

I believe the reasons for alien presence here are not understood yet and we can only guess. Possible reasons, all speculative, include that Earth is a planet with some rare characteristics (high amount of water or whatever) so it's of interest to the aliens, or that the aliens have been intervening on Earth for a long time and it's kind of an observation project for them, or that Earth isn't even of particular interest, but they observe all populated planets within their reach.

Making a healthy assumption that the government (this actually means several governments) knows about the aliens, it wouldn't be surprising that there's no disclosure. After all, such a disclosure would unfortunately have consequences too big. No, I'm an optimist, and I think that information should be disclosed. But the damage done to, for example, some religious groups could be very big, directly disproving that humans are the only intelligent beings. On the other hand, I believe that religion would deal with aliens just as it did with the revelations that the Earth is round, that the Earth goes around the Sun and that genetic traits exist.

As to why the aliens themselves are unwilling to show their presence, there can again be several reasons. One might be pretty much the same as above, them believing that the social consequences would be too bad. Another might be that they don't want us to have their technology, which could happen if they disclosed their presence (and obviously any alien race that has the capability to travel here has technology far more advanced than ours). If Earth is an observation laboratory for them, then they would try to stay hidden for the "purity of experiment".
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Why do we observe tribes in the amazon...
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                        Why do we observe tribes in the amazon...
                        So we can see an ancient part of our past and better understand how we got to where we are now?

What if earth was 'seeded' by an intelligent race of aliens in the first place? And they just pop back now and then to see how it goes.

hmmm........ maybe they are under threat in their own galaxy and being so civilised have forgotten how to be good warriors, so the earth is an alien military experiment to breed a violent psychopathic warrior race(might explain much of our violent history?).

but i think i could go for Ted's idea, if it became less exclusive
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

They're using Earth as the settings for the latest installment of alien Survivor.
                          What?

Comment

IF YOU BELIEVE IN ALIENS YOU SUPPORT TERRORISM!!!!!!
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

If aliens rape your ass you support terrorism!!!!!!!!!!pink!!!
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X