Amazon.com ripping off people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon.com ripping off people

I did a quick search to make sure this wasn't already posted.

So if it was, my apology.

I find this behavior disgusting and low. Basically it's about online retailing websites selling their products at different prices to different persons.

I've boldened some lines if you don't want to bother to read the whole thing.

Just disgusting.

Study: Shoppers naive about retail prices online

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Most American consumers don't realize Internet merchants and even traditional retailers sometimes charge different prices to different customers for the same products, according to a new survey.

The study, "Open to Exploitation," found nearly two-thirds of adult Internet users believed incorrectly it was illegal to charge different people different prices, a practice retailers call "price customization." More than two-thirds of people surveyed also said they believed online travel sites are required by law to offer the lowest airline prices possible.

The study, expected to be released Wednesday by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania, is the latest to cast doubt on the notion of sophisticated consumers in the digital age.

It said 87 percent of people strongly objected to the practice of online stores charging people different prices for the same products based on information collected about their shopping habits.

"I don't think people understand this is being done," said Willi Stabenau, 23, a musician in New York who participated in the survey. "We don't let ourselves be tracked that way in any other facet of our lives. Why would you want that to happen while you're shopping?"

The Internet empowers careful shoppers to conveniently compare prices and features across thousands of stores. But it also enables businesses to quietly collect detailed records about a customer's behavior and preferences and set prices accordingly. Changing prices is generally lawful unless doing so discriminates against a consumer's race or gender or violates antitrust or price-fixing laws.

Stabenau said he shops online frequently but always remembers: "They're after your money, and you want to spend as little as possible."

"People are fooling themselves if they believe otherwise," Stabenau said.

Stores aggressively try to retain loyal customers who generate the highest sales while discouraging bargain-hunter shoppers who are less profitable because they check many sites for the same product at the lowest price. They are known within the industry as "bottom feeders" who don't show any brand or merchant loyalty.

First-time buyers at a retailer could see higher prices than a firm's repeat customers, and retailers may not offer discounts to consumers who buy the same brands regularly without even looking at alternative products on the same site.

"It's really murky because companies are so loath to discuss this," said researcher Joseph Turow. "This is a new model of shopping reality. The question becomes, what do people feel is right? Can't more openness be the order of the day?"

The study urged government to require retailers to disclose exactly what information is collected about customers and how the data is used, and it urged schools to teach students better how to protect themselves as consumers.

Turow found a retail photography Web site charging different prices for the same digital cameras and related equipment depending on whether shoppers had previously visited popular price-comparison sites. He said grocery stores increasingly offer personalized discounts and coupons based on a person's shopping behavior.

Amazon.com outraged some customers in September 2000 after one buyer deleted the electronic tags on his computer that identified him as a regular customer and noticed the price of a DVD changed from $26.24 to $22.74. The company said it was the result of a random price test and offered to refund buyers who paid the higher prices.

The Annenberg study was based on results from a telephone survey from Feb. 8 to March 14 of 1,500 adults who said they had used the Internet within the past 30 days. The margin of sampling error was reported to be plus or minus 2.51 percentage points.

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/interne....ap/index.html
    Who is Barinthus?

note to self: use IE to check prices on Amazon.com

Comment

wow, I should have guessed at that happening.

Do you have to be a logged in customer though? Couldn't you just create a new account each time?

1,500 isn't too many people though.

either way to that conniving tactic.
      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

note to self: use IE to check prices on Amazon.com
        Good idea.

The part where it said that retailers can keep track of customers' buying behavior - I assume they use cookies for that?

If so, suppose I was using IE and FF - do they have their own cookies or both uses same cookie file?
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

When I bought books from online, I always did it through amazon.com.

I guess I have to be more weary in the future.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
            Good idea.

The part where it said that retailers can keep track of customers' buying behavior - I assume they use cookies for that?

If so, suppose I was using IE and FF - do they have their own cookies or both uses same cookie file?
            Separate cookies.

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
              wow, I should have guessed at that happening.

Do you have to be a logged in customer though? Couldn't you just create a new account each time?

1,500 isn't too many people though.

either way to that conniving tactic.
              I haven't figured out how to log out of amazon.com without just deleting the cookie...

Comment

I'm behind on all of this techical tomfoolery, nad internet skullduggery.

Can you guys give me a dumbed down version of your cookie conversation.
                Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

same here, bipolar
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                    I'm behind on all of this techical tomfoolery, nad internet skullduggery.

Can you guys give me a dumbed down version of your cookie conversation.
                    Webpages put files, called "cookies", on your computer, to store information about you. For instance, Apolyton uses cookies to track your session and to store things such as the info on which threads have been viewed. Since different browsers often put their cookies in different places, I can use IE, and delete all the IE cookies, without effecting Firefox.

Comment

Barinthus,

I had checked for a camera using these site about 2 years ago when I bought my digital camera. There is so much scamming going on with digital cameras (I don't know why this particular product is being scammed so much) that almost just bought the thing in a local retail shop.

Things like, companies listing thier camera for the cheapest price in the price comparison engine, but then when you call them, the shipping and handling is $100.

It's outrageous. Most of these camera shops are run out of New York City and New Jersey.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Cookie file - a record of your online behavior

If you have McAfee's Privacy Service, you get notified whenever a website wants to put a cookie on your computer and you can choose to allow it or not.
                        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Actually, you can just change your browser options if you want to be notified about and/or allow cookies.

Comment

Yeah, Ted. Nearly same thing happened to me today. I wanted to buy two games so I compared prices on Amazon and Frys sites.

I don't remember exact numbers but basically it was like this:

Before S&H:

Amazon - $95
                            Fry's - $70

After S&H

Amazon - $97
                            Fry's - $95

Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              I guess I have to be more weary in the future.
                              *gives in to temptation*

Being tired about it isn't going to solve any problems, MrFun.

*scampers out of thread*

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X