Kuwaiti government has appointed its first female Cabinet minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Last Conformist

The Snot Anti-Defamation League wants to have a word with you. Apparently they don't want to be associated with Kuciboy.

ROTFLMAO
    "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
      I know that this is on-topic, sorry. I'll try to keep it short.

Good thing that they now both has voting right and a minister, but why hurry things ? After all, other countries took some time to implement such things. Swiss women for example can celebrate their 25 years anniversary of voting rights next year.
      WHY HURRY THINGS UP?
      thats appalling.... this is the 21 century
      i think women have waited long enough for equality.

Swiss women have had representation for a long time there.. makes me curious about swiss men.

Comment

Well, my irony may not have been so obvious as I thought
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Swiss women only got the right to vote 25 years ago? I had no idea.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

This site is in Danish, but I guess that most countries are recognizable :

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

A World Chronology of the Recognition of Women's Rights to Vote and to Stand for Election

Unless otherwise indicated, the date signifies the year women were granted the right both to vote and to stand for election. The countries listed below currently have a Parliament or have had one at some point in their history.

1788 United States of America (to stand for election)
              1893 New Zealand (to vote)
              1902 Australia*
              1906 Finland
              1907 Norway (to stand for election)*
              1913 Norway**
              1915 Denmark, Iceland*
              1917 Canada (to vote)*, Netherlands (to stand for election)
              1918 Austria, Canada (to vote)*, Estonia, Georgia1, Germany, Hungary, Ireland*, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russian Federation, United Kingdom*
              1919 Belarus, Belgium (to vote)*, Luxembourg, Netherlands (to vote), New Zealand (to stand for election), Sweden*, Ukraine
              1920 Albania, Canada (to stand for election)*, Czech Republic, Iceland**, Slovakia, United States of America (to vote)
              1921 Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belgium (to stand for election)*, Georgia1, Sweden**
              1924 Kazakhstan1, Mongolia, Saint Lucia, Tajikistan
              1927 Turkmenistan
              1928 Ireland**, United Kingdom**
              1929 Ecuador*, Romania*
              1930 South Africa (Whites), Turkey (to vote)
              1931 Chile*, Portugal*, Spain, Sri Lanka
              1932 Maldives, Thailand, Uruguay
              1934 Brazil, Cuba, Portugal*, Turkey (to stand for election)
              1935 Myanmar (to vote)
              1937 Philippines
              1938 Bolivia*, Uzbekistan
              1939 El Salvador (to vote)
              1941 Panama*
              1942 Dominican Republic
              1944 Bulgaria, France, Jamaica
              1945 Croatia, Guyana (to stand for election), Indonesia, Italy, Japan1, Senegal, Slovenia, Togo
              1946 Cameroon, D.P.R. of Korea, Djibouti (to vote), Guatemala, Liberia, Myanmar (to stand for election), Panama**, Romania**, The F.Y.R. of Macedonia, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yugoslavia
              1947 Argentina, Japan1, Malta, Mexico (to vote), Pakistan, Singapore
              1948 Belgium**, Israel, Niger, Republic of Korea, Seychelles, Suriname
              1949 Bosnia and Herzegovina, Chile**, China, Costa Rica, Syrian Arab Republic (to vote)*
              1950 Barbados, Canada (to vote)**, Haiti, India
              1951 Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada, Nepal, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
              1952 Bolivia**, Côte d'Ivoire, Greece, Lebanon
              1953 Bhutan, Guyana (to vote), Mexico (to stand for election), Syrian Arab Republic**
              1954 Belize, Colombia, Ghana
              1955 Cambodia, Eritrea2, Ethiopia, Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru
              1956 Benin, Comoros, Egypt, Gabon, Mali, Mauritius, Somalia
              1957 Malaysia, Zimbabwe (to vote)**
              1958 Burkina Faso, Chad, Guinea, Lao P.D.R., Nigeria (South)
              1959 Madagascar, San Marino (to vote), Tunisia, United Republic of Tanzania
              1960 Canada (to stand for election)**, Cyprus, Gambia, Tonga
              1961 Bahamas*, Burundi, El Salvador (to stand for election), Malawi, Mauritania, Paraguay, Rwanda, Sierra Leone
              1962 Algeria, Australia**, Monaco, Uganda, Zambia
              1963 Afghanistan, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Fiji, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Kenya, Morocco, Papua New Guinea (to stand for election)
              1964 Bahamas**, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Papua New Guinea (to vote), Sudan
              1965 Bostwana, Lesotho
              1967 Democratic Republic of the Congo (to vote), Ecuador**, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Yemen (D.P. R.)
              1968 Nauru, Swaziland
              1970 Andorra (to vote), Democratic Republic of the Congo (to stand for election), Yemen (Arab Republic)
              1971 Switzerland
              1972 Bangladesh
              1973 Andorra (to stand for election), Bahrain3, San Marino (to stand for election)
              1974 Jordan, Solomon Islands
              1975 Angola, Cape Verde, Mozambique, Sao Tome and Principe, Vanuatu1
              1976 Portugal**
              1977 Guinea Bissau
              1978 Nigeria (North), Republic of Moldova1, Zimbabwe (to stand for election)
              1979 Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Fed. States), Palau
              1980 Iraq, Vanuatu1
              1984 Liechtenstein, South Africa (Coloureds + Indians)
              1986 Central African Republic, Djibouti (to stand for election)
              1989 Namibia
              1990 Samoa
              1993 Kazakhstan1, Republic of Moldova1
              1994 South Africa (Blacks)
              2005 Kuwait

In the United Arab Emirates, where the Parliament is officially appointed, neither men nor women have the right to vote or to stand for election. In Saudi Arabia, men took part, in 2005, in the first local elections ever held in the country. Women however were not allowed to exercise their right to vote or to stand for election on that occasion.

* Right subject to conditions or restrictions
              ** Restrictions or conditions lifted

Reference to several dates reflects the stages in the granting of rights. It is not uncommon, in countries previously under colonial rule, for women to have been granted the rights to vote and be elected by the colonial administration and to have had them confirmed at the time of accession to independence. Similarly, it is not uncommon, in countries that were formerly part of a federation and in which women were entitled to vote and be elected under the federal legislation, for women to have had these rights confirmed under the Constitution of the newly independent State.
              In November 1955, Eritrea was part of Ethiopia. The Constitution of sovereign Eritrea adopted on 23 May 1997 stipulates that "All Eritrean citizens, of eighteen years of age or more, shall have the right to vote."
              Last edited by boann; June 12, 2005, 19:58.

Comment

Wow, Lichtenstein in 1984!
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                  Well, my irony may not have been so obvious as I thought

Comment

What do the stars mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      What do the stars mean?

i edited it to add that info

Comment

canada is somewhat surprising to me...that women could not vote until 1950

1920 Canada (to stand for election)

1950 Canada (to vote)**

1960 Canada (to stand for election)**

1920 United States of America (to vote)

took 132 years to get to vote.
                        Last edited by boann; June 12, 2005, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by boann
                          1920 United States of America (to vote)
                          took 132 years to get to vote.
                          IIRC, before the Civil War, some northern states had given women the right to vote. However, the XIV Amendment, while giving ex-slave males the right to vote, took it away from white women.

BTW: 2004 Los Angeles voters for the first time elect a Hispanic woman to be judge of the Superior Court (albeit several women held the office via guberatorial appointment.)

Comment

family members live in Kuwait prior to 1932 in order to be a citizen.
                            LOLWTF

IIRC, before the Civil War, some northern states had given women the right to vote. However, the XIV Amendment, while giving ex-slave males the right to vote, took it away from white women.
                            Wyoming was the first state/territory to give women the right to vote, IIRC from the day of its creation.

canada is somewhat surprising to me...that women could not vote until 1950
                            IIRC, Swiss women could not vote until very recently--1970s or 1980s.

I don't think politics there swung either way once they had the vote; it didn't change much but the number of polling places that had to be run.
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

IIRC, Swiss women could not vote until very recently--1970s or 1980s.

Read the thread. It was 1971

Comment

Originally posted by boann

watch out mr fun might be around
                                and i hear he loves that cherry flavored lipstick

EXCUSE ME!?

The only time I have worn any makeup is in my nightmares, where some of my friends have tied me down, and forced me to dress in drag.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X