Kuwaiti government has appointed its first female Cabinet minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuwaiti government has appointed its first female Cabinet minister

KUWAIT CITY - The Kuwaiti government has appointed its first female Cabinet minister, a month after lawmakers in this oil-rich nation granted women the right to vote and run for office, state-owned television reported Sunday.

Political science teacher Massouma al-Mubarak, a women's rights activist and columnist, was given the planning and administrative development portfolios, Prime Minister Sheik Sabah Al Ahmed Al Sabah was quoted as saying. The two portfolios previously were held by Sheik Ahmed Abdullah Al Ahmed Al Sabah, who also is the communications minister.

"I'm happy," al-Mubarak, 54, told The Associated Press. "This honor is not bestowed on my person but on every woman who fought to prove that Kuwaiti women are capable."

Al-Mubarak's appointment needs to be approved by the emir, Sheik Jaber Al Ahmed Al Sabah, and issued in a decree. That move is procedural since the emir has been a strong proponent of women's rights.

Al-Mubarak said she needed time to study the plans at the ministry before she speaks of her own plans.

Al-Mubarak has a Ph.D. in international relations from the University of Denver. She has taught political science at Kuwait University since 1982 and writes a daily column for Al-Anba newspaper.

When al-Mubarak takes up her post, she — like other Cabinet ministers — will be able to vote in the legislature in accordance with the 1962 constitution.

Kuwaiti women have reached high positions in the oil industry, education and the diplomatic corps, but they had demanded political rights, which were opposed by fundamentalist Muslims and tribal lawmakers.

Women can now vote in all Middle Eastern nations where elections are held except Saudi Arabia. The Gulf nations of Bahrain, Qatar and Oman all had their first elections in recent years and have allowed women to cast ballots.

=========================
    ok this is a good thing.. and im happy about it.
    but one thing in the article stands out..
    Women can now vote in all Middle Eastern nations where elections are held except Saudi Arabia.
    and isn't Saudi in Bushes back pocket?
    "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

I see the Al Sabah's are doing everything still
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

To bad 90% of the population still can't vote sine legally you must be an Arab and a muslim plus have all of your family members live in Kuwait prior to 1932 in order to be a citizen. That means the vast, vast, vast majority of the population are noncitizens who can't vote.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        To bad 90% of the population still can't vote sine legally you must be an Arab and a muslim plus have all of your family members live in Kuwait prior to 1932 in order to be a citizen. That means the vast, vast, vast majority of the population are noncitizens who can't vote.
        ...and you can't vote if your name doesn't end in 'Al Sabah' either
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

This means it's curtains for the cabinet. New ones, with some nice bright colors. Perhaps a few sofas with some throw pilliows artfully displayed?
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

If they're in the bedroom then they need to be thick. There's nothing worse than being woken up by sunlight at some ungodly hour shining through the curtains...
            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
              This means it's curtains for the cabinet. New ones, with some nice bright colors. Perhaps a few sofas with some throw pilliows artfully displayed?
              i hope this is a joke... ill take it as one.

but maybe its really how you feel about women.
              that we have no brain and should not vote or
              be allowed to make important decisions.
              because we are only good for picking pillow colors
              and maybe fetching your slipers... PLEASE

Comment

You're also good for sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  You're also good for sex.

oh great its a cluster of all the apoly macho snots

well except for oerdin, pardon me , didn't mean to lump you with them.

Comment

I'd hit it.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by boann
                      Oh, and I forgot cooking

Comment

That's fricking unbelievable
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by boann

well except for oerdin, pardon me , didn't mean to lump you with them.
                          Less talk, more cleaning, you
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Less talk, more cleaning, you

why don't you just get off the computer and mow the lawn or fix the car or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                              I'd hit it.
                              you would hit anything moving wearing lipstick

Comment

Working...
                              X