Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Help or, Damn His Japanese Girlfriend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Help or, Damn His Japanese Girlfriend!

Calling all Microsoft-savy Polytubbies:

Recently, a friend of mine came to stay with his Japanese girlfriend. While here, they asked if they could install something on my wife's computer (I wasn't there for the conversasion, which is why I'm not being as precise as I'd like) to help the Girlfriend ger her Japanese-language e-mail. My wife, being the perfect hostess and foolishly trusting them when they said this would be no problem, said yes.

Now, whenever she opens a Microsoft Office program or document, the Windows Installer opens up and begins some installation process; it then announces that it can't find the file IJ561401.CAB, and asks her to browse for it. At this point, she can cancel instead of browsing, and the program will open like normal. So, this is merely an annoyance, but it is an annoyance. Neither our friend nor his girlfriend can adequately explain what was installed (well, the girlfriend probably can, but not in English), so I'm not even sure what I'm looking for.

Any ideas? Anybody? TIA.

edited to correct the name of the .CAB file
    Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; June 12, 2005, 02:09.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

maybe you can google IJ56401.CAB

there are sites that host random single window files.....

Comment

It's possible they tried to install Support for East Asian fonts, and they didn't have the Windows CD to do it with.

Which Windows is this?
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

:idea!: Great idea! Now, having just done that, I can see that most sites that come up are not English language or even Latin alphabet, which confirms my sense that this is some kind of non-Latin character file or program. Unfortunately, that doesn't get me very far. Still, thanks for the suggestion.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Rufus,

Go here, there is a specific mention of this file, I think it is something specific to the Office program itself:

Looks like you need Office 2003 CD's to load the file. Do you have them?
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
            Rufus,

Go here, there is a specific mention of this file, I think it is something specific to the Office program itself:

Looks like you need Office 2003 CD's to load the file. Do you have them?
            Thanks, Ted, I'll try that.

Comment

The only solution is to get a japanese girlfriend of your own to uninstall it.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'd hit it.

kannichiwa

Comment

Just use system restore to go back to the day before the installation occured.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                  X