The SAT kicks Bosh's ass: part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SAT kicks Bosh's ass: part II

Thanks for the help on the last one. My kids are having a hell of a time on the improving sentences question and I'm having a hell of a time helping. I know which answers are wrong instinctively, but how do I explain why exactly and make an in-class exercise about it. For example why, in a way I can explain to kids whose second language is English is:

1."Launched in 1959, the Luna space probles were the first to enter solar orbit and photograph the far side of the moon"

better than

"The Luna space probes were the first to enter solar orbit and photograph the far side of the moon, in 1959 they were launched."

or

2. "William Faulkner is famous for such books as"

better than

"William Faulkner's famous books include"

Help!
    Stop Quoting Ben

Something to do with passive tense... I never could get that stuff straight either.

or something
    Monkey!!!

Comment

In #2, the two sentences have two different meanings, neither of which is necessarily incorrect.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Actually, in the second example, you're changing the meaning of the phrase somewhat.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

In #2a the subject of the sentence is Faulker, #2b has the book as the subject... it really matters what the sentence is about, is it about the book being famous or about the man being famous?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

In example 1 , the first option is obviously better , because the second reminds me of Yoda . And we all know Yoda's grammatical ability . Simple way to explain it , isn't it ?

Comment

Re: The SAT kicks Bosh's ass: part II

Originally posted by Bosh
              Thanks for the help on the last one. My kids are having a hell of a time on the improving sentences question and I'm having a hell of a time helping. I know which answers are wrong instinctively, but how do I explain why exactly and make an in-class exercise about it. For example why, in a way I can explain to kids whose second language is English is:

1."Launched in 1959, the Luna space probles were the first to enter solar orbit and photograph the far side of the moon"

better than

"The Luna space probes were the first to enter solar orbit and photograph the far side of the moon, in 1959 they were launched."
              In the second, you have two independent clauses separated only by a comma. It's like saying "Agathon is an idiot, in college he got a worthless degree."
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

hmmmm, interesting. thanks

after some study I think that the first one is a run-on.
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

@Jaguar
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

for the faulkner example, neither is bad necessarily, but the second one is focusing on the books rather than on faulkner.

in the 1st : HE is famous for such books as.
                    in the 2nd: his BOOKS are famous such as ____
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I'd choose the first option for the Faulkner example. Fame is something you apply to somebody, not to something.
                      CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                      Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                      Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                      Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

In #1, it just reads better. I don't know as there is any real grammatical reason for it. As my history teachers stressed, always put dates first.

In 1999, we went to the game.
                        It wasn't until 2000 that we were aware of the problem.

Etc.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

better than

1b is wrong because it puts the initiating action (the probes being launched) after the clause describing what happened after they were launched.

Comment

The Faulkner one is basic. The first sentence is passive voice, the second sentence is active voice. One always wants active voice when he or she is writing.

First one is a bit tricky, I admit. The second sentence would require a semi-colon to siphon off the clause about the year of launch and even with that would be a bit clunky. As you said, it is a run-on sentence.
                            Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Re: Re: The SAT kicks Bosh's ass: part II

Originally posted by Jaguar

In the second, you have two independent clauses separated only by a comma. It's like saying "Agathon is an idiot, in college he got a worthless degree."
                              You've got half the answer here. The real thing for the first sentence IMO is that it uses two independent propositions to say something that can easily be said with a participial complement.

You can juxtapose two independent propositions though, this in itself isn't incorrect.
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                              X