Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gov. Perry of Texas to gay veterans: Don't come home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFun
    Now here is a stupid question. Of course not.
    Then a comparison is inapt.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

I think it's time to beat up the South again.
      You and me both.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

When I asked, "guess what happened?" I was referring to the abolishment of slavery -- not the Civil War.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Yeah, well, the abolishment of slavery wouldn't have happened within those 15 years if it hadn't been for the civil war.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

And this is all relevant to gay marriage how, exactly?

Are you in a condition of forced, non-penal servitude?

Are you excluded from the voting franchise?

Are you excluded from testifying or suing in court?

Are you excluded from being able to independently contract for the ownership of property?

Oh, you can't marry someone of the same gender. But then we all know that Gawd intended marriage to be between a man and a woman, and homos have the same rights as anyone else, they just don't deserve special rights, blah blah blah.

As long as you keep barking up the slavery tree, that ol' possum is gonna just saunter on down the road there while you're barkin' at nothin'.

Nobody's justifying slavery. Just speaking to the intent of the 13th amendment ratifiers.

And by the way, I did not claim that the discrimination that gays face today is anywhere on the par that slaves faced in the antebellum years.

Of course, a much more reasonable comparison is the prohibition of interracial marriage in United States.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              Yeah, well, the abolishment of slavery wouldn't have happened within those 15 years if it hadn't been for the civil war.

so??

Comment

When I asked, "guess what happened?" I was referring to the abolishment of slavery -- not the Civil War.
                What Kuci said.

A more apt comparison would be the Civil Rights Movement. Even that isn't fully comparable, since there is no Cold War necessity to free gay people.

Comment

Pretending they're disconnected is ridiculous.

Fact is, the South wouldn't've abandoned slavery within those 15 years hadn't they been forced at gunpoint.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

so??
                    So where is the political base from which you hope to gain liberation?

Comment

I'm not denying that the Civil War and abolishment of slavery are connected with one another.

Comment

so??
                        So if your comparison is accurate, millions of people would have to die to give you the right to marry.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

So where is the political base from which you hope to gain liberation?
                          The premise that one should not have a different set of laws for a minority group compared to the rest of society.

The premise that just as prohibition against interracial marriage degraded the dignity of a human person, so does prohibition against gays marrying one another.

The premise that anti-gay amendments are a danger to heterosexuals and the rest of society in that anti-gay amendments violate the sepration of the church and state.

We can increase our political base of support beginning with these premises, along with other significant ones, I'm sure.

Comment

So if your comparison is accurate, millions of people would have to die to give you the right to marry.

Nope, that wasn't my point.

Comment

I must admit that the prospect of a few million bible-belters killed isn't entirely unattractive.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

The premise that one should not have a different set of laws for a minority group compared to the rest of society.

The premise that just as prohibition against interracial marriage degraded the dignity of a human person, so does prohibition against gays marrying one another.

The premise that anti-gay amendments are a danger to heterosexuals and the rest of society in that anti-gay amendments violate the sepration of the church and state.

Those are not political bases. They're a rationales. Moreover, they're rationales not accepted as true or relevent by the majority of your target population.

Comment

Working...
                                X