Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gov. Perry of Texas to gay veterans: Don't come home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov. Perry of Texas to gay veterans: Don't come home.

Classic example of Republican "Support the Troops" claptrap.

Texas governor suggests gay veterans should leave state
    Gay groups demand Perry apologize
    By STEVE KOVAL | Jun 8, 10:55 AM

Texas Gov. Rick Perry suggested that gay veterans unhappy with the proposed anti-gay constitutional amendment should move elsewhere.

"I'm going to say Texas has made a decision on marriage and if there's a state with more lenient views than Texas, then maybe that's where they should live," the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Perry said Sunday.

Perry's comments were in response to a question during a news conference about what he would tell gay war veterans returning from Iraq.

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, a group for gays in the military, today joined calls by the Lesbian & Gay Rights Lobby of Texas for Perry to apologize.

"More than 66,000 lesbian and gay veterans make their home in Texas," said Sharra E. Greer, SLDN’s director of law and policy. "Their service has defended the freedom of every Texan, including Governor Perry. The governor’s remarks dishonor their service and he should immediately apologize. We should be thanking these brave men and women, not asking them to leave."

Col. Paul W. Dodd, a retired Army Chaplain and SLDN honorary board member who now lives in Texas, said in a statement, "Gays and lesbians have defended our country since the American Revolution."

"Governor Perry’s remarks were outrageous and offensive and do not reflect the views of fair-minded Texans who value the service of our men and women in uniform. It is past time that those who fight for freedom abroad be afforded those same liberties here at home," Dodd said.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Don't you just love conservatives?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

"I'm going to say Texas has made a decision on marriage and if there's a state with more lenient views than Texas, then maybe that's where they should live," the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Perry said Sunday.
      How many governors before this have pleaded with tax paying citizens to leave their state?
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        I'm really looking forward to someone - anyone - defending him and/or his statement. Unfortunately, I have to go to work now. Be back in a few hours. Please don't disappoint me.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to someone - anyone - defending him and/or his statement. Unfortunately, I have to go to work now. Be back in a few hours. Please don't disappoint me
          I'll defend it. The less Texans there are, the better off the rest of us are.
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            I don't love either side
            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Americans.

Comment

I'm sure Ben would take a crack at defending it.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

I'm really looking forward to someone - anyone - defending him and/or his statement. Unfortunately, I have to go to work now. Be back in a few hours. Please don't disappoint me.
                  Sure. Whether you agree with him or not, he's made his views, and presumably the views of a majority of Texans (at least with regard to gay marriage) clear. Given that we're talking about Texas, that ain't ever likely to change, so y'all can waste your time in futility, or go elsewhere where what you perceive to be fundamental rights aren't treated with the same disdain.

In that sense, his analysis of the options is correct.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Sure. Whether you agree with him or not, he's made his views, and presumably the views of a majority of Texans (at least with regard to gay marriage) clear. Given that we're talking about Texas, that ain't ever likely to change, so y'all can waste your time in futility, or go elsewhere where what you perceive to be fundamental rights aren't treated with the same disdain.

In that sense, his analysis of the options is correct.

First of all, even going back all the way to our Founding fathers, they were concerned about the tyranny of the majority. Tyranny of the majority happens when the majority rules with callous disregard for the rights of a minority.

Secondly, this stupid Texas governor has shown complete, utter disrespect to US veterans -- the same utter, complete disrespect that conservatives have whined about when it came from extreme lefties.

Now it looks like it's turned around and it's either disgusting or laughable that some conservatives can favor bigotry over respect for US veterans.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

He doesn't want armed gays in his state.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I e-mailed this article to my friends -- this is outrageous.

Comment

I agree...

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Hmm...the Guv's message is "if you dont like it, leave".
                            I get that response from liberals alot, whats good for the goose...

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                              Hmm...the Guv's message is "if you dont like it, leave".
                              I get that response from liberals alot, whats good for the goose...

It's inane, callous, and a stupid remark from conservatives as well as liberals.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Comment

Working...
                              X