Clothing Inequality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon
    In a previous incarnation I sold menswear.
    You should have kept that factoid secret
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

If you'd seen the average New Zealand male's clothing, you'd understand. Things have probably changed now – younger New Zealand men have taken up preening and label bashing.

In the early 90s if you had run a store selling black jeans, swanndris, heavy undyed wool socks, black T-Shirts sporting obscene slogans, and brushed cotton work shirts, you'd have done a roaring trade.

Perhaps "pub shirts" should be added to that.

A "pub shirt" is a tidier looking shirt (one only) that hangs in a man's closet (rather than on the floor) and is donned over the gear described above to enable entry into nightclubs. Said item is rarely washed and is carefully put back on its hanger after a night of carousing.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

You should have kept that factoid secret
        I only did it for 9 months to save money to go to the UK. I've had threads on my "experiences". The transexuals were always the worst.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          Would you rather spend all your money on that crap, or on booze, comics and cars?
          Me? I'm a fanatical jeans-wearer. I wore jeans to my grandfather's funeral.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Thorstein Veblen wrote that women's clothing is a primary means of showing off one's affluence, so they have to shed all hints of being used for any practical purpose other than to show off. They have to be extravagant and uncomfortable and hideous to anyone having common sense. Men's clothes do not follow this rule so closely, so they tend to be more practical and tasteful.

So I speculate that a man's eye, trained to appreciate such simple fashion, is hence more delighted to see a woman in men's clothes, rather than in woman's clothes.
            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
            George Orwell

Comment

I don't know why, but a G-string looks better on a woman than on a man.

Originally posted by Saras
              Clothes on women
              Depends - it can be quite fun to remove clothes on a woman
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                Men can get away with wearing drab grey as formal wear or as a suit. Even if every other man is wearing the same clothing and its the same colour no-one will care.
                You know if you think about it, before the French Revolution men dressed as gaudily as women. The revolutionaries in France repudiated powdered wigs, brightly colored vestments, ornate gold trimming and elaborate embroidery in men's clothing. The strange thing is that the style caught on even amongst their enemies and has persisted even until today.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                  I don't know why, but a G-string looks better on a woman than on a man.
                  Ahh, but whatever happened to the codpiece?
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Ahh, but whatever happened to the codpiece?
                      I'm not familiar with such a thingie - do you have a pic ? Maybe a G-string for comparison
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You could always start a movement for equality, Sprayber.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Considering that most of the complaints about clothes I hear are from women (and half the rest are me complaining about shops not carrying 30/36 jeans), I don't think men are the losing side on this "inequality".
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            You could always start a movement for equality, Sprayber.

I don't have the hips for a sexy black party dress che
                            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

I think all women are mentally ill with the god damn clothes thing.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Actually, it's worse.

Womens clothes are shabbier than mens clothes, are nowhere near as durable, and comparable cuts of clothing cost a mimimum of 20% more for the womens variety than the mens.

So sez my wife, who does the clothes shopping around here.

Comment

Working...
                                X