7 year old beats little sister to death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dissident
    do you think it's normal for 7 year olds to beat their sister to death? He had to learn that behaviour from somewhere.
    So if a kid does something out of the norm, it's automatically the fault of violent media? Come on, use your brain. Pscyhotic sociopaths have been around long before the advent of television or video games. Do you think Jack the Ripper killed his victims because of violent images he saw in a newspaper or something?

The kid is certainly deranged, and it's probably the fault of brain function mixed with bad parenting. But making assertions that it's TV's fault sans any evidence is just irresponsible, and stupid.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Jack the Ripper was tame by today's standards.

Comment

explain the rapid increase in violence since the advent of television.
        What is this supposed rapid increase?

The only increase I'm aware of is the increase in publicized events.

Show me a statistic that shows an increase in violence.

I'm sure that African-Americans, Native Americans, those killed in the Salem Witch Trials, those killed during the Civil War, anyone hanged for heresy, etc, etc, etc, ETC, would have issue with that.

Art resembles life, not the other way around.
        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous

I'm sure that African-Americans, Native Americans, those killed in the Salem Witch Trials, those killed during the Civil War, anyone hanged for heresy, etc, etc, etc, ETC, would have issue with that.

Me thinks TEF has some psychic connection with the dead . . . . .
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Me thinks TEF has some psychic connection with the dead . . . . .
              I'm seeing an M...M...someone with an M...M for the first name...first name M...maybe N...N sounds like M...N or M...or P...maybe P...M or N or P or I...maybe I...someone you know with an I...no, they have an eye...they have an eye and they're watching what you do...and they're happy and want you to be sucessful...and give me 20 dollars...20...no...wait...50, 50 dollars...
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

nice try

Comment

So in 1996 or so...crime (note: not VIOLENT crime) was at 1976 levels...

Surely Television is to blame!

Good point, Diss! Way to back it up...

Oh yeah, and lets not forget that the most popular TV shows of that year were: Little House on the Prairie, The Jeffersons, Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family, and M*A*S*H.

Of course, we could blame everything on Baretta, but I think he's had enough to deal with

Comment

I watched violent cartoons when I was a child, played violent-themed games with friends, have played violent video console and computer games.

So glad I didn't turn into a psychopath.

Comment

I've seen the FBI stats on this: more children murdered other children in the 1950s than do so today. Really.

Of course, Leave It to Beaver has been known to provoke murderous rage in most people, so it all makes sense.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                        So in 1996 or so...crime (note: not VIOLENT crime) was at 1976 levels...

Surely Television is to blame!

Good point, Diss! Way to back it up...

Oh yeah, and lets not forget that the most popular TV shows of that year were: Little House on the Prairie, The Jeffersons, Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family, and M*A*S*H.

Of course, we could blame everything on Baretta, but I think he's had enough to deal with
                        yes, but crime is still waaaay higher than in 1960 before most people could afford a television set.

Comment

Well underneath that aura of innocence, Beaver had a Jeffrey Damer second personality.

You didn't know that Beaver was bi-polar?

Comment

These kind of things happen all of the time. I heard a statistic that violent crime is actually on the decline but then again those statistics cna be manipulated.

Bottom line is, news agencies follow this rule : If it bleeds it leads.
                            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                              These kind of things happen all of the time. I heard a statistic that violent crime is actually on the decline but then again those statistics cna be manipulated.

Bottom line is, news agencies follow this rule : If it bleeds it leads.
                              violent crime is on the decline. Only because most violent people are in prison. Over 2 million by my last count. It might be over 3 million in the U.S. now.

Comment

violent crime is on the decline. Only because most violent people are in prison. Over 2 million by my last count. It might be over 3 million in the U.S. now.
                                There are 2 million people in prisons in the United States. Are you suggesting that they are ALL there due to violent crimes?

Comment

Working...
                                X